13 Top Recipes of ’13
My annual post of YOUR favorite and MY favorite recipes this year from Gimme Some Oven. Enjoy!
Time for the annual favorite recipe roundup. And since this was the lucky year of 2013, today we are going to check out the 13 recipes from Gimme Some Oven that made it to the top of YOUR list (according to pageview totals), and the 13 recipes that made it to the top of mine. As has been the case in past years, many of those recipes overlap. But for the sake of featuring more deliciousness, we’ll do 13 + 13.
I have to say that I’m really happy about the mix of courses on the list! In years past, many of the favorite recipes have been desserts, desserts and more desserts. But this year, a bunch of salads and healthier options made it onto the list. And those 5 ingredient recipes were definite winners. (More of those to come in 2014.) Love it!
So without further ado, here are the two lists of the 13 top recipes of ’13. Stay tuned as we kick off an entire month of healthy recipes tomorrow, and be sure to also check out Instagram for an amazing giveaway too. Happy New Year’s Eve, friends!!
YOUR Top 13 Recipes of 2013
1. 5 Ingredient White Chicken Chili - This recipe went bonkers on Pinterest, and then received rave reviews as everyone started giving it a try. And I couldn’t agree more. Those five simple ingredients make a heck of a good soup!
2. Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing - Hard to argue with a classic, especially when avocados are added to the mix. :)
3. Chicken and Asparagus Stir-Fry - I was a huge fan of this simple stir-fry, and was so happy to see that everyone else seemed to love it too! I’m already counting down the days until asparagus season returns again.
4. Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Chopped Salad - This recipe was inspired from a small-town Italian restaurant that I visited for a wedding, and has been a huge hit! Love all of those flavors!
5. Baked Blooming Onion - The original blooming onions were once rated the highest fat menu item in popular restaurants. But not so with this lighter version. Bring on the Panko breadcrumbs and bake it, baby!
6. The BEST Sangria - If you haven’t tried this yet, you must. There’s a top secret (ok, not so secret) ingredient that takes this sangria from good to oh-my-gosh-you-must-pour-me-another-glass GREAT.
7. Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix - Nix the processed seasoning packets and make your own ranch seasoning at home. It’s perfect for dressings, dips, and more.
8. 1-Hour Easy Cinnamon Rolls - I finally found my go-to cinnamon roll recipe this year that’s all I ever wanted and more. AND, it only takes an hour to make from start to finish. Don’t believe me? Try it. :)
9. Green Detox Smoothie - Because who doesn’t love a green detox smoothie?
10. Pecan Pie - Inspired by my grandmother, this pecan pie recipe went bonkers over the holidays. I’m so glad to hear you all liked it!
11. 5-Ingredient Broccoli Cheese Soup – Yes, just 5 ingredients for this classic comfort food. And it’s “lighter” too!
12. Cranberry Margaritas - These turned into a favorite drink over the holidays. So simple to make, and SO tasty!
13. Nutella Cupcakes - And of course, there must be at least one chocolate recipe in the mix. All the better that it’s with Nutella. :)
MY Top 13 Recipes of 2013
1. Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo - Ok this one was near the end of the previous list since it was published late in the year, but I stole it to place it at the top of my list. I am in love with this lighter alfredo sauce — so creamy, and SO good!
2. Grilled Pineapple, Chicken and Avocado Salad - This was one of my favorite salads of the year. I make it year-round grilling pineapple in my grill pan, but it’s also great for summer gatherings.
3. Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork - This one got lots of positive reviews, partly because it’s super easy to make, and partly because it’s super tasty.
4. Homemade Chai Tea - I finally learned how to make my own chai this year. And it’s good!!! This recipe helps you make concentrate that can be served warm or iced.
5. Salted Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - These were a big hit with my friends, and one of my most-requested recipes to bring to parties. It’s all in the dark cocoa powder and salt, people.
6. Cranberry Pistachio Baked Brie - This easy recipe turned into my go-to appetizer to make for parties this holiday season. And two different family members also baked it for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Love the colors, and love the flavor.
7. Easy Pepper Steak - Sorry, vegan friends. It’s dishes like this one that keep me being a meat and potatoes (or nowadays, meat and quinoa) girl through and through. This easy pepper steak is one of my favorites, especially made with those cute and colorful sweet peppers.
8. Fresh Pineapple Margaritas - Need I say more?
9. Lighter Blueberry Cheesecake - It’s made with lighter cream cheese and Greek yogurt, although you’d never guess from the creamy delicious flavor. This recipe is now my go-to cheesecake base.
10. Vietnamese Pho Soup - 2013 was also the year that I finally learned how to make my own pho! This recipe falls a little more in the “quick and easy” category for this Vietnamese classic, but it’s still oh-so-good.
11. Mulled Wine - After traveling Europe last December and falling in love with mulled wine, I had to learn how to make it at home. Turns out that it’s very, very easy.
12. Skinny Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup - Comfort food at its best — without the guilt!
13. Lighter Chinese Chicken Salad - I’ve loved this salad in restaurants for years, but it turns out that it’s easy to make a (much!) lighter version at home too. I could eat this one for days!