Homemade Apple Cider

Homemade Apple Cider | gimmesomeoven.com

There is something so wonderfully nostalgic about cider mulling on the stove, infused with beautiful orange slices, cinnamon sticks and cloves, filling up the house with that most heavenly of heavenly spicy aromas.  Mmmmm….

But for years, the “homemade” cider I’ve made has always come from the big glass jar I’ve purchased in my annual fall cider pilgrimage to the store.  It was only until recently that I ever really thought about investigating how to make a batch completely from scratch.  So during a beautiful fall day today, with the windows open and a cool breeze blowing through the house, I decided to give it a try.

Now, I have no idea why I waited so long.  :)

(Here was my old photo of this apple cider recipe, circa 2010.)

Homemade Apple Cider -- it's so easy to make all-natural apple cider from scratch! | gimmesomeoven.com

The entire process was such a delight.  It turns out that the initial prep work for the cider could not be easier.  (I think it took me all of five minutes.)  Basically, you let the apples and spices do their work for a few hours, while your home fills with the most wonderful, spicy aroma.  And then after a little straining, you have a pot full of warm, delicious cider ready to be ladeled into your favorite mug and savored.  Amazingly simple.

My favorite thing about the process, though, was just watching it all come together from scratch.  I know that probably sounds obvious, but this was my first time making a homemade apple juice.  Sure, I’ve juiced oranges and lemons and limes plenty of times before.  But the anticipation of waiting for the crisp apples, cinnamon sticks and whole spices to mull together and create this completely new cider just felt different.  Felt like I was connecting with a bit of tradition.  A bit of history.  I love it.  :)

Will definitely be making this my new fall tradition!

Homemade Apple Cider | gimmesomeoven.com

Homemade Apple Cider

You'll love how this Homemade Apple Cider recipe mulling on the stove fills your house with the comforting aroma of apple, orange, cinnamon and cloves.

• 12 medium apples, assorted types (I used mostly Gala, Granny Smith & Red Delicious)
  • 2 oranges
  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. whole cloves
  • 1 tsp. whole allspice (optional)
  • 1 gallon (16 cups) water, more or less
  • 1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar (or your desired sweetener*)

Wash apples and the orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. (Don't worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems.)  Place in a large stock pot.  Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.  Cover with water, filling the pot until it is nearly full. (I left about 2 inches of space at the top of my pot.) Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.

Once the apples have softened after an hour or two, use a potato masher (or tongs or the side of a spoon) to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft.  Cook for one more hour.

Strain out the apple cider into a clean pitcher or pot.  To get the maximum juice out of the apples, you can press them through a fine-mesh strainer or strain through a cheese cloth.  Stir in your desired amount of sweetener until it is dissolved.

Serve hot.

You can also transfer the cider to a heat-safe sealed container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.  Just rewarm the cider to serve.

1. Cheri — October 19, 2010 @ 5:58 am (#)

Oh yum! I have got to try this soon. Wishing I had all the ingredients to make some right now!

2. Linda — October 19, 2010 @ 7:57 am (#)

Totally impressive!

3. anna — October 19, 2010 @ 11:22 am (#)

ali. SO excited to try this. i was going to buy some from the store this weekend, actually.

i do have a question though, if you just use preground nutmeg, how much do you use?

• Ashley — October 19, 2012 @ 2:04 pm (#)

Did you ever get an answer or try it with pre-ground nutmeg? If so, did it turn out? Thanks in advance. :)

• Lisa — October 20, 2012 @ 9:10 pm (#)

I made this today, enjoying some right now. I used 2 and a half teaspoons of nutmeg to replace fresh nutmeg, and added a few shakes of cinnamon with 2 fresh sticks instead of 4. Fresh sticks of cinnamon are expensive!

4. blackbookkitchendiaries — October 19, 2010 @ 7:15 pm (#)

the pictures on this website is absolutely gorgeous:)

5. vvvv — October 19, 2010 @ 9:12 pm (#)

i like apple!!!!!!!! and i like tea

6. sherrie — October 19, 2010 @ 9:26 pm (#)

This sounds wonderful! How much did you end up with in the end?

• Lisa — October 20, 2012 @ 9:11 pm (#)

Mine made a bit less than a gallon.

7. Michelle — October 20, 2010 @ 9:14 am (#)

Love that second photo, and this sounds wonderful.

8. Megan — October 20, 2010 @ 9:57 am (#)

Just imagining the amazing fragrance you must have had in your house sounds wonderful. We just went to the cider mill a few weekends ago…now that you have shared this recipe I am going to have to try it myself!!

9. Sarah — October 26, 2010 @ 2:03 pm (#)

I made this in my crock-pot today!! It was fantastic. I used all of the ingredients listed above and let it cook for 6 hours on high. I lined my strainer with cheese cloth and lightly pressed the excess juice out after the first strain. I ended up with about 2 large mason jars worth in the end…I will be making this every year….My kids LOVED it!! Thanks!! : )

10. Cheryl | Black Girl Chef's Whites — November 8, 2010 @ 4:42 pm (#)

Looking at the picture of all the ingredients in the pot make me think of how wonderful the house would smell while this was simmering on the stove!

Going to have to try this recipe, and soon!

11. Tammy S — November 10, 2010 @ 1:49 pm (#)

Where have you been all my life? I am LA-HA-UV-ING your site! So glad I stumbled upon it :) I am heading to the store now for some apples! It’s finally cool in Arizona (72 degrees) and I am in the fall mood!!!!
    Thanks for being fab and sharing that with the world!

12. Amy J — November 12, 2010 @ 8:49 am (#)

I am definitely going to try this in the slow cooker! Thank you for the idea, I never thought of making my own cider before!

13. Carole — November 17, 2010 @ 10:43 am (#)

First off, I found this link on momadvice’s blog, and i LOVE the name of your blog! Genius!! Nothing like a clever name!! Well done!

I am trying this recipe tomorrow! Cannot wait – thanks for the idea; it never occurred to me to try cider on my own. Apple cider doughnuts to follow :-)

14. geek+nerd — November 18, 2010 @ 6:12 pm (#)

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

15. Barbara F. — September 5, 2011 @ 1:05 pm (#)

Ali, I saw this on Pinterest and just had to come on over!! I love it and will be making this often! Do you think it can be bottled to keep at least a few days or a week or so? I’d love to share this with my friends. Also wondering about a sugar-free version. xo

16. Judy Hudgins — September 18, 2011 @ 12:38 pm (#)

Actually, I have gotten really spoiled. Our local Raleigh NC Farmer’s Market is brimming with NC apples this time of the year. And one of the vendors makes the best apple juice going. So I buy her’s. Supporting our local economy and my need for great apple juice. It’s all brown and you have to shake it up before pouring. I usually have a gallon in the fridge and 1 in the freezer. Then I can drink it hot or cold. If I want it hot, I warm it on the stove (microwave doesn’t cut it) and add a touch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg to mine. I have to be careful as my youngest is allergic to cinnamon. But it is define. What I have made is homemade apple sauce in my slow cooker. I just peel and chunk the apples and a touch of water and let them simmer all day. Add a little sugar and mash up and can. I’m eating a batch of “Rusty Coat” apples right now which are a hard, tart apple and is great.

17. Leanne — September 18, 2011 @ 1:32 pm (#)

Oh thanks for posting this, Ali!!! I can’t wait to try it. :)

18. Arleen — October 9, 2011 @ 1:10 pm (#)

Does anyone know if this can be freezed after making? I have 2 dozen apples for cider making and want to make sure my apples don’t spoil!

19. Bryce — December 24, 2011 @ 1:20 pm (#)

In the process of being made right now, my wife and kids cant wait to try it tonight, Christmas Eve! It smells amazing!

20. jacin — August 29, 2012 @ 11:09 pm (#)

girl. you are speaking my canning-loving language right now. i am so trying this.

21. Emma M. — September 27, 2012 @ 3:37 pm (#)

I will definitely be trying this with all the apples we picked this fall! Have already made applesauce and apple pie!

22. Jake — October 28, 2012 @ 3:53 pm (#)

Do you mash the fruit in the pot because I tryed it once and it was very thick after I strained all out

23. Lynn — November 9, 2012 @ 3:12 am (#)

Made this last night after pinning it ages ago. Soooo delicious, the flavors are just perfect!

I have a few tips after making it:
    1) It tasted a bit watery at the end of 3 hours, so I continued to boil it for 30 minutes or so with the top OFF to reduce it a bit to concentrate the flavors. Worked well.
    2) Even after sending it through a fine mesh strainer, the consistency is a bit thick. Next time I might try cheesecloth.
    3) I think I used at least a cup of sugar, adding it at various stages. But be careful, because I think once you strain it, the resulting liquid is sweeter than the liquid + fibrous parts/spices.

24. Samantha L. — April 18, 2013 @ 10:51 am (#)

How many liters does this make?

25. MrsPena — May 18, 2013 @ 5:07 pm (#)

making this right now! — i love fall and had all the ingredients (i used 2 tbs of cinnamon —- didn’t have sticks) my house smells awesome!! look forward to tasting. thanks for the recipe

26. Tanusree — September 27, 2013 @ 12:28 am (#)

I made this today. turned out great. we really liked it.

27. Stacey — October 10, 2013 @ 1:36 am (#)

I made this today, and it came out great! I have a huge stockpot, so I basically doubled the recipe… actually I used about 30 apples. Not sure what kind of apples, they’re from the tree in my backyard :)
    It made just under a gallon and a half, and I also used about a cup of it for the applesauce I cooked in the crockpot afterwards. Thanks for a great recipe!!!

28. SARAH — October 15, 2013 @ 4:59 am (#)

I live in the UK and they do not have American Apple Cider here :(

I have been looking for it for years, now I have found your recipe and I am so happy!!!

I was wondering have you tried this in a slower cooker yet? How much cider does this recipe yield?

29. Jennie Vega — October 27, 2013 @ 11:21 am (#)

Its is yummmie!!!!!

30. tiffany — November 26, 2013 @ 7:51 am (#)

This might be a silly question but the recipe calls for a whole nutmeg….not sure what that means?

• Ali — July 18, 2014 @ 4:22 pm (#)

It’s actually a “whole” (not ground) piece of nutmeg.

31. Patti Hibbard — March 6, 2014 @ 3:24 pm (#)

Hi Ali

Just want to let you know, I am trying your homemade apple cider today in my slow cooker it has been 4 hours and my home is just starting to smell WONDERFUL. Also I have pinned your recipes since I found you and have tried many of them, and love them all. Last week at costco us ladies started talking at the book isle and I told them to go to your website the recipes plan WORK. Thanks

32. Amy — August 31, 2015 @ 7:00 pm (#)

This year we got BUCKET LOADS and BUCKET LOADS of apples from our two trees, so I was wondering if it was possible to make the cider with just the dozen apples of one sort minus the oranges? We haven’t got any on us right now but are canning and baking so many apples that I wanted to make some cider to can for the winter while our trees are still at it.
    I’d really LOVE to make some because it would be a bummer not to!

• Hayley @ Gimme Some Oven — September 2, 2015 @ 10:12 am (#)

Hi Amy, how cool that you have apple trees! We think you should be able to make the cider without the oranges. Have fun, and we hope you enjoy this recipe! :)

33. Sarah Medlin — October 13, 2015 @ 1:54 pm (#)

Hi Ali,
    I was blown away by the cider that resulted from your recipe! It was so delicious it didn’t last more than a night between the four of us. I’m currently writing a post about ways to cook with apples and would love to include a picture/link to your recipe, would that we okay?

• Hayley @ Gimme Some Oven — October 14, 2015 @ 10:25 am (#)

Thank you Sarah, we’re happy to hear you loved this! and of course you can include a photo and link back to the recipe, thanks for asking! :)

34. Alanna Kellogg — November 17, 2015 @ 12:32 pm (#)

Wow — just saw the retraction/apology from the PR firm that used your photo and recipe in an email. Congrats for standing up to such craziness — you’d think, a PR firm of all organizations, would understand copyright law. PS And guess who just happens to have a whole pile of apples needing attention.

35. Modern Day Moms — November 17, 2015 @ 11:46 pm (#)

Came here because of the PR retraction as well. Nice to see the original recipe and source. Love your blog. :)

• Hayley @ Gimme Some Oven — November 18, 2015 @ 9:40 am (#)

Thank you, we hope you enjoy the cider! :)

36. Nancy cobb — November 22, 2015 @ 8:52 pm (#)

I had this warm with wine in it. It was delicious!  When its cold outside.

• Hayley @ Gimme Some Oven — November 23, 2015 @ 11:53 am (#)

We’re glad to hear you enjoyed this Nancy!

1. Pingback: Apple Cider Recipe Inspiration Board « DuoParadigms Public Relations & Design, Inc.

2. Pingback: THE AUTUMN TO-DO LIST: 31 Things you MUST DO this October! | KimmiKillZombie's Blog

3. Pingback: Spicy AppleCider | Peanut Butter and Peppers

4. Pingback: 8 Apple Recipes for Fall | PAPER/PLATES

5. Pingback: Fall Harvest Traditions: Apple Cider Cups | All Things Harvest

6. Pingback: 10 Things to Do with the Kids on Fall Break | The Divine Miss Mommy | Atlanta Georgia Mom Blogger | Travel Blogger

7. Pingback: Honey Apple Cider Recipe | NatashasKitchen.com

8. Pingback: Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork | Gimme Some Oven

9. Pingback: (Healthier!) Apple Crumble | Gimme Some Oven

10. Pingback: Apple Cider, Partial Fail | Life Breath Present

11. Pingback: I Did It! | Life Breath Present

12. Pingback: Cider from Scratch | bricolaged events

13. Pingback: Gone Apple Picking? 3 Awesome Apple Recipe Ideas | Beau-coup Blog

14. Pingback: Apple Cider Baked Chicken | Gimme Some Oven

15. Pingback: Elegant Cakes – The 50 Best Healthy Halloween Recipes

16. Pingback: November is National Apple Month – 30 Days of Recipes to Celebrate

17. Pingback: Fall Field Trips and Activities for Your Homeschool Homeschool Encouragement

18. Pingback: Friday Faves :: Apple Recipes |

19. Pingback: Fun with Fruit: 11 Creative Ways to Save your U-Pick Bounty

20. Pingback: Χριστουγεννιάτικο ρόφημα | Christmas Greece

21. Pingback: Fun with Fruit: Creative Ways to Save Summer’s Bounty | Free In L.A.

22. Pingback: Top 50 Apple Recipes - I Heart Nap Time

23. Pingback: What to Do With Leftover Apples | Emily Brungard

24. Pingback: 14 Lip-Smacking Apple Cider Drink Recipes

25. Pingback: Simple Mulled Apple Cider - Call Me a Hippie

26. Pingback: 10 delicious apple recipes to make this Fall - Polkadot Stationery

27. Pingback: The Best Gluten-Free Apple Crisp {With Pumpkin}

28. Pingback: Fall Flavors | Clove | 12 Creative Recipes to Try Using Whole Cloves, Ground Cloves and Clove Oil | The Olive Shoe

29. Pingback: Recipe: Five Favorite Apple Dishes - WHAT'S DOWN IN TOWN

30. Pingback: 11 Best Apple Recipes EVER!! - Carmela POP

31. Pingback: Apple Cider Glazed Chicken Thighs | Nat's Next Adventure

32. Pingback: 10 Different Ways To Use Your Fall Apples | Live in the Now | Natural Health News | Natural Health Resources

33. Pingback: 10 Best sprinkle recipes EVER!! - Carmela POP