Honey Beer Bread

Learn how to make homemade beer bread with this delicious recipe that’s naturally sweetened with honey!  All you need are 6 easy ingredients to make it.

This recipe for Honey Beer Bread is my absolute FAVORITE. It's super easy to make, calls for just 6 ingredients, and tastes perfectly buttery, sweet and delicious! | gimmesomeoven.com

I will be the first to admit that I’ve never been much of a bread baker.

My desire to be one comes in waves, like last winter when I got into the habit of baking this crusty artisan bread in my Dutch oven when having people over, or two years ago when I probably baked a dozen batches of these yeasty rolls around the holidays, or the zillion or so times I’ve promised myself that this would be the week to try making homemade challah (but still never quite followed through).

I don’t know, I think I’ve just always loved the idea of being a fabulous bread baker, casually pulling freshly-risen loaves out of the oven with a flourish each day, more than I’ve actually liked the reality of messing around with yeast.  There just seem to be a few too many steps involved, and I’m that forgetful cook who will totally forget to check the dough while it’s rising.  Not to mention, it’s hard getting through an entire loaf living on your own!  (<– And I don’t care what anyone says, thawing leftover bread that has been frozen just never tastes the same! 😂)

Still, that doesn’t change the fact that I absolutely LOVE BREAD.  And oh my goodness, I think there are few better things in life than freshly-baked, warm bread pulled straight from the oven.  So the simple little compromise that I turn to more often than not when those bread cravings hit is this one simple recipe that I decided to dig up out of the blog archives today and share with you once again.

My all-time-favorite, 6-ingredient, ready-to-go-in-1-hour-from-start-to-finish, warm-and-buttery, naturally-sweetened, always-always-always-a-crowd-favorite recipe.

Honey Beer Bread.

I absolutely LOVE my homemade Honey Beer Bread recipe! It calls for just 6 ingredients, it's super easy to make, and so delicious. | gimmesomeoven.com

I first shared this recipe here back in 2009, when this new blog was fresh outta the oven itself.  ;)  And since then, I’ve made this recipe dozens and dozens and dozens of times.  Because you guys, it literally could not be easier.

Learn how to make homemade honey beer bread with this easy recipe! All you need are 6 ingredients, and this delicious beer bread recipe will be ready to go in no time! | gimmesomeoven.com

Simply whisk together some flour, baking soda, and salt.  Then pour in a bottle of beer and some honey.

Learn how to make beer bread with this simple recipe! It's nice and buttery and sweet, and only calls for 6 easy ingredients. Total comfort food! | gimmesomeoven.com

Stir it all together, then pour it in a bread pan that has been greased with a few tablespoons of butter (yes, that’s right).  Brush a little extra butter on top.

This delicious Honey Beer Bread recipe couldn't be easier to make. Just stir together 6 ingredients, pop it in the oven, and this delicious, buttery, sweet bread will be ready to go in less than an hour! | gimmesomeoven.com

Then bake it up to golden perfection.
My all-time favorite beer bread recipe is SO easy to make! All you need are 6 ingredients, and this honey-sweetened bread will be ready to go in less than an hour. | gimmesomeoven.com

And in less than an hour from start-to-finish, this gorgeous loaf of warm bread will be yours to enjoy.

This Honey Beer Bread is my favorite quick bread recipe! It just requires 6 simple ingredients, and tastes absolutely delicious! | gimmesomeoven.com

And trust me, it is so beer-y delicious.  ;)

This Honey Beer Bread recipe only calls for 6 ingredients, and can be ready to go in under an hour. Absolutely delicious! | gimmesomeoven.com

Granted, over the years, I have tinkered with the ingredients a bit.  My original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, which I have since updated to just 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of all honey.  And occasionally I’ll sub in white whole wheat flour in place of the all-purpose, which works well.  But guys, I’ve gotta be honest and say that I really recommend you make this one with all of the butter.  I mean, you’re welcome to leave it out and just butter your bread afterwards if you’d like.  But I’m convinced that those buttery crusts are the best part of this recipe.  So I highly recommend sticking with the recipe there.

The other brilliant thing about this easy recipe is that it’s virtually foolproof, so you never have to worry about having fresh yeast on hand, or keeping an eye on various rise times.  It’s just a quick, easy, and always delicious bread made with everyday ingredients (including your favorite flavor of beer!) that you can whip up at the last minute.  I especially love making it this time of year to go with soup season, but it’ll be good any day you’re craving some carbs.

So for those of you who missed this recipe the first time around, I hope that you enjoy it!

Happy baking!

Honey Beer Bread

You will love this sweet, delicious (and easy!) beer bread! Detailed recipe and photographs included.

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey*
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
  • 4 tablespoons (half stick) butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch bread pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until combined.  Slowly pour the beer and honey into the flour mixture, and stir until combined.  (I recommend popping your honey in the microwave for a few seconds beforehand to make it easier to stir in!)

Pour half of the melted butter into the bottom of the loaf pan, and spread it around evenly.  Then add the batter to the pan in an even layer, and brush the rest of the butter around evenly on top of the batter.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top of the bread is golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Serve immediately.

*My original recipe called for 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons honey, which still works!  I just prefer going with 100% honey nowadays.

**If you'd like a cheesier bread, feel free to stir in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar after you've mixed in the beer.

Recipe slightly adapted from Ezra Pound Cake.

Learn how to make the most delicious beer bread with this easy recipe! Just stir together 6 simple ingredients, and in under an hour, this Honey Beer Bread will be yours to enjoy. | gimmesomeoven.com

1. Bread Baker — January 7, 2012 @ 9:43 am (#)

Is the dough supposed to be all goopy and lumpy? Making this now and have it in the oven, I added a bit more flour to the dough because it was a wet sopping mess :(

Also why is the butter put at the bottom of the loaf pan vs. in the dough?

2. Kristy — January 14, 2012 @ 10:36 am (#)

Had a friend make this and recommend your recipe. Do you think subbing whole wheat flour for some of the 3 C all purpose would be OK?

• meredith — May 30th, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

If you haven’t already tried this yourself, I made this with 1/2 whole wheat & 1/2 all-p (because I didn’t have enough of the all-p!) and it tasted great!

3. minda — January 16, 2012 @ 3:30 pm (#)

i make this all the time for my husband, but i use 3 cups of self rising flour so i dont need to use the baking powder, and i use brown sugar instead of white, and i have added italian seasoning(dry packet) or spinch dip(dry pkg) or french onion(dry) or garlic ceddar, all are very good!

4. jade — January 21, 2012 @ 4:11 pm (#)

amazing! not only did this make my entire apartment smell amazing, but I dare say its the most delicious this ive ever made. wow.

5. kketnick — January 23, 2012 @ 5:33 pm (#)

Eating this now. Love the texture of the bread, moist and dense—-delicious! Used Bud light because we had it, definitely will try with a honey wheat some time.

6. Jaime — January 29, 2012 @ 7:03 pm (#)

I made this bread today and it was delicious! I used a bottle of yuengling. The bread was so moist and buttery. My husband and I ate half the loaf in one sitting.

7. Rachel — January 30, 2012 @ 10:42 am (#)

@ Ben: no, you can’t refrigerate the batter. Quick breads like this one depend on the chemical reaction of baking soda + moisture to rise, so once you mix the batter, it’s a ticking clock (unlike yeast dough, which can chill in the fridge for a considerable amount of time). If you let it sit until the reaction is over, it won’t rise in the oven.

8. Dawn — January 30, 2012 @ 11:32 pm (#)

Looking forward to trying this. Looks delicious:-)

9. Ann — February 7, 2012 @ 10:48 pm (#)

Yay – A beer bread that is not dry! This turned out beautifully! I used Pacifico beer because I have a case that never made it to a friend over the holidays, and we won’t drink it. I also added a cup of cheddar cheese, which adds great flavor. I cut the sugar in half. I might add some dried dill next time. I used my Kitchen Aid to make the dough which made the prep super fast and easy. Looks like that case of Pacifico will be put to good use! Thanks for the recipe!

10. unknown — February 9, 2012 @ 5:44 pm (#)

11. Barb — February 13, 2012 @ 3:39 pm (#)

I just put this bread in the oven….the only thing I didn’t do is “spoon” the batter in to the loaf pan. I hope that isn’t going to make a bad difference. The only beer I had on hand was a dark creamy beer. Crossing my fingers for a decent turn out!!!

12. Barb — February 13, 2012 @ 4:51 pm (#)

Ok…just out of the oven. Very crunchy crust….very buttery flavor. Good with honey spread on top. Anxious to hear my hubby’s review.

13. Carolyn — February 14, 2012 @ 1:02 pm (#)

Wow! Loved the bread! I used whole
    Wheat and brown sugar. Doubled the butter
    Happy Valentines too me !thanks

14. Anna — February 14, 2012 @ 8:28 pm (#)

Okay so I just made this bread and pulled it out and had a slice, so here’s my thoughts on my loaf:

I used a pale ale and I can still taste it a bit, I would definitely use a less dry beer than the one I chose.

I did double the butter and I think it’s WAY TOO MUCH. Next time only using the half stick.

I added a cup of shredded sharp cheddar and I don’t really notice it over the beer flavor and butter.

SO next time, less butter, sweeter ale, no cheese!

15. Kim — February 15, 2012 @ 10:55 am (#)

This sounds awesome and easy. I’ll try it tonight.

16. Beth — February 18, 2012 @ 8:55 pm (#)

This bread turned out awesome! Just like the picture looked and very, very tasty!
    Thank you!

17. Cadebug85 — March 10, 2012 @ 1:26 pm (#)

I just got done making some TS beer bread for a gathering tomorrow. I ate one slice and am wanting to eat the whole loaf! So I decided I had better find a recipe so I can make more for myself to keep. This one looks/sounds delish (LOVE the idea of using honey!) and I can’t wait to try it! I always use BudLight with the TS box beer bread and it turns out SO good! Our local brewery has a honey beer that I think I will try with your recipe, as I think they would compliment each other nicely. Thanks!!!

18. Mom on a Tightrope — March 18, 2012 @ 3:52 pm (#)

LOVED the honey beer bread!!! My family loved it as well!! It will definitely be a GO TO recipe for me!! Why? Because it’s EASY and turned out GREAT the first time!!!

19. Gayna B. — March 31, 2012 @ 11:12 am (#)

I love this recipe. Have made it many times. Today I’m baking up a batch using Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale, and upping the sugar to 1/2 cup. I’ve made this before and it’s soooo yummy (the Sam Adams Blueberry ale makes really great bread, too). I think I’m going to try brown sugar this time, instead of white. I was trying to think of some good mix-ins for this sweet bread though, and I’m not really coming up with anything. Any ideas?

• Lisa — July 25th, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

I only had Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in my fridge so I am SO happy to read that someone else has used it and it turned out well. I just popped it in the oven, and cannot wait to try it with some honey, butter, and jam (three separate slices of course) ;)

20. Ashley — April 7, 2012 @ 10:02 am (#)

Has anyone compared this to Tastefully Simple’s Beer Bread? I know with their you an make it hundreds of ways (with and without beer). Just curious if it is similar at all.

21. Lisa G. — April 7, 2012 @ 2:40 pm (#)

Yum. Just made this using Shock Top Raspberry Wheat beer and it is soooo good.

Ashley, yes, I used to buy the Tastefully Simple beer bread mix, now I use this recipe and it tastes the same but is so much cheaper!

22. Erin — April 8, 2012 @ 4:18 pm (#)

I made this For Easter today and I used Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat Beer, I followed the directions exactly and it came out delicious!

23. Rie — June 3, 2012 @ 2:41 am (#)

I just made this twice in the past few days and I absolutely LOVE it! The entire loaf disappeared right before my eyes, haha! ^_^

24. Cristina — July 2, 2012 @ 12:00 am (#)

Uh- mae-zing! This bread is delicious and amazingly easy! I always get a piece of beer bread when I eat lunch at a local eatery, I never realized how easy it was to make! So dang delicious! My husband was being crochety and didnt want to try any so I shoved a small piece in his mouth. Needless to say it wasnt the last bite he took! Going to try it with cheddar and jalepenos soon.

• Laura Rhodes — November 22nd, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

I just cracked up when I read your comment! Love it! Sometime you just have to do what you have to do! Blessings, Laura

25. chantell berger — July 10, 2012 @ 9:06 pm (#)

does this need to be refrigerated?

• Sandy Kay — July 11th, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

It probably won’t last long enough to refrigerate, but I’d recommend freezing it over refrigeration. You could slice it and place in a zip loc bag.

26. Sandy Kay — July 11, 2012 @ 2:37 pm (#)

I found that adding the combined dry ingredients to the beer works better than the other way around. Seems to mix in quicker and batter seems moister – try it!

27. Anna — July 31, 2012 @ 2:24 pm (#)

Thank you for sharing this recipe, it is delicious!

28. sprinkle — August 19, 2012 @ 5:27 pm (#)

I know it seems a stupid question, but is there something I can substitute the beer with. Like, would root beer work?

• shelby — August 29th, 2012 @ 10:35 am

lol no themain reason for the beer is the yeast in it to help the bread rise

• Shelly — December 2nd, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

Made it with ginger ale- fantastic!

29. Ashley — August 20, 2012 @ 7:49 pm (#)

i tried making this tonight and mine was kinda like doughy but done in the middle it had a baking powder taste to it what did i do wrong

30. shelby — August 29, 2012 @ 10:32 am (#)

I like to add 3 TS of brown sugar. and i add half the butter to the mix and put rest on top like u mentioned. and also my grandmother adds PEPPER not a lot but she said its awesome

31. Kristen — September 1, 2012 @ 5:34 pm (#)

Made this just now and not only was it super easy but it was super easy. At first I tasted the batter and I was concerned it had too much of a beer taste (I did add 16 oz can of beer :/) but once it baked it was so nice and moist. Will make again. The butter, sugar and honey add a nice taste.

32. Jenni — September 9, 2012 @ 7:12 pm (#)

I just finished making this bread – it’s fantastic! I used a bottle of oatmeal stout that I had in the back of my fridge, and I think it turned out well. I’ll admit that there is a bit of a bitter taste to the outside crust of the bread, but it’s really faint, and the middle of the loaf is delicious.

I didn’t see any comments about freezing the bread, but I’m going to give it a try and freeze half of the loaf I made today. And I will definitely try adding cheese to the next batch!

33. Lucy — September 11, 2012 @ 5:07 pm (#)

Yummy. I added shredded cheddar and garlic and omitted the agave Big hit at diner … Hubby said we old need to ave more parties just to have left over beer…

34. Denise D — September 13, 2012 @ 6:19 pm (#)

This is the most amazing recipe!!! :) I made it with Wood Chuck Fall Cider and we love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

35. Megan — September 14, 2012 @ 12:00 pm (#)

Hello! Thanks for the recipe! Made this in a spring form pan, then sliced the top off, added sandwich stuff, and brought to a potluck picnic! Even used some of my own homebrew as well! Will be making this again.

36. Carly — September 18, 2012 @ 11:17 am (#)

Just made this bread and loved it. Was wondering how it freezes?

37. Annie — September 25, 2012 @ 11:34 pm (#)

Thank you for the recipe! It was simple and delicious! I used a pumpkin ale with a little pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and added brown sugar to the top. It turned out better than I expected and I can’t wait to do it again with a wheat beer, garlic, and sharp cheddar!

38. Laura — September 29, 2012 @ 9:01 pm (#)

Found this on Pinterest, of course. Came out perfect, just as written, just as photographed. So easy and so delicious with chili for dinner tonite! Yummy!!!

39. Tanya D — September 30, 2012 @ 10:25 pm (#)

Has anyone ever tried to freeze this before baking it and just taking it out when you are ready to bake it? This would be great to have on hand, although it is super easy to make, but just wondering!

40. Amanda — October 1, 2012 @ 9:46 am (#)

I’ve made three batches of this! I used Magner’s Cider for one (amazing! And used Lager for another. For the third, I used lager, added one teaspoon on garlic powder and some basil. I topped the batter in the pan with olive oil instead of butter. It’s great garlic bread with spaghetti!

41. Lillian @ Elle The Heiress — October 3, 2012 @ 7:32 am (#)

I made this for my husband using pumpkin beer and he absolutely loved it. I think I’m going to have to buy out the local stores of all the pumpkin beer so I can continue to make it past October. =)

42. Amy — October 5, 2012 @ 8:25 am (#)

The best part about this bread is that I have all the ingredients on hand all the time– very simple and super delicious!

43. Deb — October 6, 2012 @ 4:14 pm (#)

Can this be made in a bread machine? Husband wants to use it!

44. Jackie — October 6, 2012 @ 9:39 pm (#)

I just made this recipe using blue moon pumpkin beer and substituted the honey for maple syrup and added some cinnamon and nutmeg. It’s amazing. I also paired it with lotus brand biscoff spread.

45. amy — October 13, 2012 @ 10:03 pm (#)

yum! made this tonight with a pumpkin beer… best decision ever. so good!!

46. MrsBridges — October 15, 2012 @ 11:54 am (#)

I LOVE this recipe!!!!! I have made probably 5-6 loaves in the past two weeks!!! My husband tried it and said it brought him back to childhood when his momma used to make beer bread. It was amazing seeing him re-live that smell and flavor. He looked me very seriously in the eyes and said “No…no way! Better than mom’s!” So I guess I have you to thank ;) I also used maple agave instead of honey and added cheddar cheese and spicy IPA beer – flavor out of this world! A new tradition in our house. Thanks again!!

47. Morgan — October 15, 2012 @ 6:28 pm (#)

I made this and it was amazing! I used honey & real maple syrup (you can find it at Target!) instead of sugar, 3 cups of whole wheat flour, an amber beer, added herb seasoning mix & some shredded cheddar, and doubled the butter. It was definitely a little dense, but still very tastey and a little nutty. Next time I will probably try 2c whole wheat & 1c AP flour. Still, it was delicious!!

48. Jenn — October 16, 2012 @ 7:20 pm (#)

Loved it! It stuck to the pan in places so next time I will spray pan then add the butter. Tasted just like my parents used to make!

1. Pingback: Honey Beer Bread « The Pink Gourmet