See the video above for a visual guide to how to cut a mango. Or feel free to follow the steps below. :)
- 1 ripe mango
- Place a mango on its side on a cutting board. Find the flat side of the mango, and turn the mango to where that side is facing sideways. Carefully make two long vertical slices in the mango, coming as close to the seed as possible without cutting into it. Place the two oval sliced pieces of mango off to the side.
- Now place the initial piece (with the seed) down flat on your cutting board. Make two more long slices around the seed. Discard the seed.
- Carefully slice the skin off of the two skinny long slices of mango, and discard it. Then cut the mango into your desired slices or dices. Set aside.
- Now take one of the oval pieces of mango and place it peel-side-down on the cutting board. Carefully use your knife to make even cuts in the mango flesh of your desired shape (slices or dices), making sure the cuts go deep enough to touch the skin yet not go through the skin. Then press in the peel-side of the mango until it completely inverts, and use a knife to carefully slice off the flesh. Discard the peel and repeat with the last remaining oval piece.
- Serve and enjoy your mango immediately. Or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.