Kale Chips

A few mornings ago, my next-door neighbor surprised me by bringing over a huge basket of fresh kale – YUM!  Such a wonderful way to begin the day!!

I’ve been craving kale chips this month, so was anxious to pop them in the oven and make a quick batch.  Talk about instant gratification — after just 12 minutes in the oven, the kale had reached that gorgeous dark green color, was perfectly crisp, and ready to be enjoyed!!  There are a million different ways you can season them, but for this batch I went nearly al natural — just tossed them in some olive oil and sprinkled on a little sea salt.  Completely delicious!!

If you’ve never made these before, I can’t recommend them enough.  In addition to providing a fresh alternative for when the crunchy “chip” craving hits, kale is absolutely packed with nutrients and powerful antioxidants.

So grab the olive oil, and whatever favorite seasonings you enjoy (herbs, a little lemon or lime juice, garlic, etc.), and enjoy this addicting, yet wonderfully guilt-free snack!  :)

Kale Chips

You will love this delicious and healthy kale chips recipe!

• 1 bunch fresh kale leaves, well-washed and dried (you can use a salad spinner, or pat dry with towels, or just let air dry!)
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • coarse sea salt (or whatever salt you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

On a cutting board, use a kitchen knife to chop the kale into bite-sized (about 1") pieces. (You can also tear it apart with your hands.) Place pieces in a large bowl, and drizzle with olive oil. Then using your hands, toss the kale until the leaves are evenly coated with the oil.

Lay the kale pieces out evenly on the parchment-lined baking sheet, and then sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until kale is dark green and crunchy. Remove from oven, let cool, and then serve.

If you would like to keep these “raw”, they can be easily cooked in a dehydrator.  Just prepare them similarly, and pop them in the dehydrator for 4-5 hours.

Comments

1. jan willbanks — June 10, 2010 @ 8:58 pm (#)

Hi Ali. how hot should the oven be when making the kale chips? thanks!

2. Meg — June 10, 2010 @ 9:21 pm (#)

Yeah for kale! I love Cale! Oh wait that is my husbands name! ;)

3. Andrea — June 10, 2010 @ 10:10 pm (#)

What temp should the oven be for that 12 minute bake time? Thanks!

• ali — June 10, 2010 @ 10:17 pm (#)

Oh no! So sorry everyone — forgot that “minor” detail. :-)

The oven temp needs to be 350 for these. I just edited the post. Enjoy!!

~A

4. Toni — June 11, 2010 @ 4:49 am (#)

My biggest craving is “salty crunchy” and this looks like the best way to do it AND be healthy. Cannot wait to try–I’m off to the Farmer’s Market tomorrow!

5. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 11, 2010 @ 9:35 am (#)

This is such a creative use of kale – I never would have thought to do this! Great recipe!

6. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 16, 2010 @ 9:55 am (#)

Yum… These look great! I have seen various posts about kale chips but haven’t given them a try yet. I really need to! We get a lot of kale in our CSA, so now I will have the perfect recipe to try!

• ali — June 16, 2010 @ 10:30 pm (#)

Hey Jen!

Actually, it was an abundance of CSA kale that initially led my friends and I to try them! So fun – and versatile too. :)

~A

7. Merriam — June 20, 2010 @ 12:12 pm (#)

made them! love them! Would be great on a hamburger!

8. Sara — June 21, 2010 @ 10:14 pm (#)

Question. Do these keep well, or do they need to be served immediately?

• ali — June 21, 2010 @ 10:26 pm (#)

Hi Sara!

I’ve kept them around for 2-3 days (stored in an airtight container), but not sure if they would last just too much longer. Sorry, not too sure on that one…good luck!

~A

9. Sara — June 22, 2010 @ 3:41 pm (#)

Thanks! Kale is abundant at the farmers market right now, and I was looking for a new way to use it. I wanted to make ALL of it into these chips, but that’s a lot to eat in one serving. Two or three servings, not a problem. :-)

10. Sara — June 22, 2010 @ 3:43 pm (#)

Ugh. One more question. I went to the grocery store this morning and forgot to get parchment paper. I really don’t want to have to go back just for that. Is it necessary, or might there be an alternative?

• ali — June 22, 2010 @ 5:33 pm (#)

Hey Sara!

Absolutely – feel free to just use cooking spray to grease the pan a bit. Or you can also use aluminum foil. Whatever works! :-)

Enjoy!
      ~A

11. Lauren E. — June 25, 2010 @ 2:18 pm (#)

Just made a batch! Looking forward to giving them a try! I love your blog.

12. Loretta — December 10, 2011 @ 2:54 am (#)

My daughter made these to snack on while she has been dieting….she gave me a taste , and now I am hooked on this delicious snack…this was the first time I have ever eaten Kale….I never thought in a million years that I would eat it…….. (it just never appealed to me)….but I’m here to tell you, you just gotta try it, and you will be hooked on it just like the rest of us…..It is soooo good !!!!

13. Jolie — January 25, 2012 @ 3:01 pm (#)

Just made and these are awesome!

14. Melody — March 18, 2012 @ 1:15 pm (#)

I dehydrate mine! wonderful and so good for you!

15. Victoria — February 4, 2013 @ 7:27 pm (#)

SO tasty! i had to put mine in for a little longer than 12 minutes. Maybe because of my crappy oven. But so delicious oh my gosh.

16. Stacy — February 18, 2013 @ 11:28 am (#)

These are amazing!!!!

17. Ron — February 18, 2013 @ 4:41 pm (#)

I really love these chips. There’s a company (Brad’s Raw) not far from where I live that makes them. Has anyone tried this with Old Bay Seasoning?

18. Andrea — February 27, 2013 @ 8:58 pm (#)

Oh Man….. I am a FAN! These are delicious :)

19. Charlotte — March 11, 2013 @ 12:03 pm (#)

I was wondering if you could do the same thing with other mustard-type greens. I was given a bunch of kohlrabi and I don’t like the traditional way of cooking greens.

20. Leatha — March 24, 2013 @ 3:47 pm (#)

I can not wait to try this. I am juicing and use Kale everyday. I am even growing my own! Looks delish!

21. Anne — April 26, 2013 @ 7:21 pm (#)

Crispy, for sure. Feel like they need a little more flavor than just the salt. What if you dusted them with a little dry ranch mix? Or curry? Somebody must’ve come up with something, no?

1. Pingback: Organic Picks of the week for January 29th, 2013 | Organic Produce Geek

2. Pingback: Coyote | mudjoyfarm

3. Pingback: Appetizer Party Recipes | Cabernet and Couture

4. Pingback: Organic Picks of the week for May 21st, 2013 | Organic Produce Geek

5. Pingback: CSA Meal Plan – Monday, June 3rd

6. Pingback: Organic Picks of the week for August 3rd, 2013 | Organic Produce Geek

7. Pingback: Zucchini Chips | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.