Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks | gimmesomeoven.com

For our second day of Cheap Eats Week, thought that it was time to feature a sadly under-appreciated member of the meat department — chicken drumsticks!

These have long been a favorite of mine — not only because they are a fun finger food and have all of that extra-flavorful dark meat, but because they are super-affordable!!  Thankfully, they are also pretty foolproof to bake in the oven.  Just marinate and/or season as you will, pop them in the oven, and voila!  Delicious, moist chicken is yours to enjoy.  :)

For this recipe, I just used some common ingredients I already had on hand.  And the lemon-thyme combination proved true to tradition and was fantastic!  To stick with our budget theme, you could easily serve these with a side of rice (or I used orzo pasta), roasted veggies, baked/roasted potatoes, a side salad, and/or some nice fruit.

So for all of you out there who are in a chicken breast rut, I highly encourage you to rediscover the drumsticks!!  More affordable and more flavorful!

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks | gimmesomeoven.com

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks

You will love this delicious Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks Recipe!

• 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1.5 lbs.), rinsed
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • zest and juice of one lemon (about 1 Tbsp. zest, 2 Tbsp. juice)
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place the first five ingredients (chicken through thyme) in a large bowl or Ziplock bag, and mix well so that the chicken is well coated. Cover/seal and refrigerate to marinate for 1-12 hours.

When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Then remove drumsticks from marinade bowl/bag and place in a greased baking dish, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the juices run clear. For extra flavor, brush the drumsticks with more of the marinade about 20 minutes into baking. Serve immediately.

If you’re in a hurry and don’t have hours to marinate the chicken, hakuna matata.  I actually only let mine sit for about 5 minutes this time, and they were still very flavorful.  But if you can plan ahead and pop them in the marinade in the morning before work, all the better!!

Comments

1. Karine — November 11, 2009 @ 7:09 am (#)

It seems to be a great way to cook with drumstick! Thanks for sharing :)

2. Erica — September 15, 2011 @ 6:18 pm (#)

Made this tonight. Was great, thanks!

3. amanda — March 18, 2012 @ 1:14 pm (#)

wanted to know if you can use canola oil instead of olive oil?

• shaniiqua — June 13, 2012 @ 12:16 pm (#)

i was wondering the same thing, since i dont have olive oil…has anyone tried it this way?

• shan — September 17, 2012 @ 5:09 pm (#)

don’t use canola oil as it is much more sensitive to temperatures and tends to smoke when heated.

• The Pear Lady — February 15, 2013 @ 10:16 pm (#)

I’ve used canola oil when I’ve not had OO. I believe I had the oven on 350 degrees and cooked a little longer than this above recipe. (It’s been a while…pardon me if my memory’s fuzzy) Experiment with a couple drumsticks or wings (latter would be cheaper if things mess up). Just might work! :D

4. Vanessa O'Neill — March 24, 2012 @ 11:46 am (#)

Looks Great! I figured I should try marinated drumsticks instead on the typical crispy ones. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Lynda Estabrook — December 13, 2012 @ 3:48 pm (#)

After placing the chicken in the dish pour a little water in the bottom – this way you do not need oil. Can save drippings and refrigerate. Fat rises to top. Discard fat and use remaining liquid as part of the liquid for rice or noodles.

6. joanna — March 7, 2013 @ 6:55 pm (#)

I just put the chicken in the oven, but realized that the salt and pepper was to be added at this point; it’s been marinating for 5 hours with the salt & pepper. Will it turn out salty, I hope not??

7. joanna — March 7, 2013 @ 7:11 pm (#)

Oh, and what is “hakuna matata”?

8. supershwa — May 3, 2013 @ 4:35 pm (#)

Thanks for this recipe. I’m marinating chicken right now!

I expect it will taste delicious!

9. Stephanie — April 29, 2014 @ 4:56 pm (#)

This recipe looks so good. I would have definitely made it for dinner tonight if I would have known it required hours to marinate. It would have been nice to have that included In the prep time.

10. Jeny Duarte — August 28, 2014 @ 1:52 pm (#)

Doing your recipe tonight!.
    Thank you :D.