Lemon Pepper Asparagus

Asparagus and lemon just seem to be a match made in heaven.

So simple.  So beautiful.  And SO tasty!

This easy lemon pepper recipe is definitely one of my favorites.  You can prepare the asparagus a number of ways — roasted, boiled, steamed, or sauteed.  Then pair it with the citrusy zest and juice of a fresh lemon, lots of cracked black pepper, a little olive oil and salt, and this delicious side dish is ready to go instantly.  And the vivid greens and yellows make it all the lovelier to enjoy.

Definitely a favorite in my book.

Lemon Pepper Asparagus

You will love this Lemon Pepper Asparagus recipe! It's a quick and delicious way to prepare one of your favorite vegetables.

1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
pinch of sea salt
lots of freshly-cracked black pepper

For Roasted Asparagus:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Toss or mist the asparagus with olive oil and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice until evenly coated. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt, and then generously season with freshly-cracked black pepper. Roast for 8-12 minutes, or until the tips begin to brown and the asparagus is tender. Remove and garnish with lemon zest.

For Boiled Asparagus:

Fill a large stockpot 2/3 full of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Add asparagus spears, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove and drain asparagus, then toss with olive oil and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice until evenly-coated. Season generously with freshly-cracked black pepper, and then garnish with lemon zest.

This recipe is also delicious with some fresh thyme mixed in!

Comments

1. Blog is the New Black — May 1, 2012 @ 2:51 am (#)

I agree- lemon and asparagus were meant for each other!

• ali — May 1, 2012 @ 3:15 am (#)

For sure, Liz! :)

2. Mandy — May 1, 2012 @ 11:02 am (#)

Looks so good!

• ali — May 4, 2012 @ 11:28 pm (#)

Thanks, Mandy!

3. Michelle K. @ Delectable Musings — May 2, 2012 @ 9:10 am (#)

My family really enjoys all the fresh spring asparagus right now. I was looking for another way to serve it up and found this recipe – it looks so delicious. I would love for you to link up this recipe on my Seasonal Eats May roundup found here, which highlights recipes that use seasonal ingredients in great recipes.

• ali — May 4, 2012 @ 11:29 pm (#)

Thanks, Michelle – I’ll have to check out your roundup! Sounds fun!

4. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 3, 2012 @ 9:10 am (#)

What a lovely way to prepare asparagus… I love the pop of color the lemon adds! I’m sure it also adds a nice bright and fresh flavor, too. Can’t wait for the first asparagus from our CSA!

• ali — May 4, 2012 @ 11:11 pm (#)

Thanks, Jen! I’m super excited for my summer CSA too! :)

5. Monica — August 28, 2013 @ 9:03 am (#)

I love the colors in this fresh dish. So simple and yet so tasty. Thanks.

6. Renee — February 24, 2014 @ 4:00 pm (#)

Such a healthy dish and so beautifully presented. I shared your post to my readers today on TOP TEN LOW CARB FOODS + RECIPE ROUND UP http://totalhomemakeovermagazine.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-low-carb-foods-recipe-round-up.html

Warmly, Renee

7. bruce bearfeld — June 25, 2014 @ 10:29 pm (#)

Directions on how to sauté please. Liked the broiling but prefer sauté. If it doesn’t go in a toaster, microwave, or come in a take out box, my wife can’t cook it. Ergo, I cook most of the meals for her and my eight year old. As with most men, while I am accomplished with meat and fire, baking and roasting are skills that have not come naturally, have been, and continually are, being acquired.

Thanks

• Ali — July 18, 2014 @ 4:02 pm (#)

Sure thing. To saute the asparagus, heat the oil until it is shimmering. (If you drop a drop of water in it, it should sizzle.) Then add the asparagus, and let it cook — stirring 2-3 times a minute — until it is cooked. For this recipe, that will probably about 3-5 minutes, depending on the size of your pan and how much asparagus is used.

1. Pingback: Fight Stress and Increase Fertility with these Seven Foods | With Great Expectation

2. Pingback: How To De-Stress With Finesse & Fabulous Food! | My Kitchen Shrink

3. Pingback: Fight Stress and Increase Fertility with these Seven Foods | With Great Expectation

4. Pingback: roasted asparagus | Recipes for Elise

5. Pingback: Miss Information's Complete Guide to Thanksgiving : Part 4 Side Dishes - My Blog / Website

6. Pingback: How To De-Stress With Finesse & Fabulous Food! |