Roasted Chickpeas

As much as I love meals, I love to snack.  It’s my weakness.  My joy.  My distraction from staring at a computer for hours on end in a cubicle.

I know…terrible.

But hey — moderation and nutrition are wonderful things.  :)  So to satisfy the “crunch” cravings, I’ve recently jumped on the roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) bandwagon.  These little guys are fantastic!  Not only are they packed with great crunch and flavor, but they’re filled with fiber and nutrients, AND cost less than $1 per batch to make.  I heart.  :)

Below I’ve included a recipe suggestion for smoked paprika roasted chickpeas (my fav), but you can absolutely experiment with whatever seasonings you like.

Cheers to healthy snacking on…um…beans!

Roasted Chickpeas

You'll love this Roasted Chickpeas recipe! So quick and easy to prepare. An easy and super-flavorful snack that's actually GOOD for you!

• 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. smoked paprika
  • pinch or two of salt to taste

Other seasoning ideas instead of smoked paprika:

• chipotle powder
  • chili powder

Preheat oven to 360F. Drain, rinse and blot the chickpeas dry with a paper towel. (You want to remove as much excess moisture as possible!) Pour the chickpeas into a bowl, and stir in all of the other ingredients until evenly coated.

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 40-50 minutes, stirring the chickpeas every 10-15 minutes. The chickpeas should be dry and crisp on the outside, but still have the slightest chew when initially tasted. (But they will continue to cook and dry a bit more once removed from the oven.)

Let cool for about 10 minutes on the sheet, then serve or store in an airtight container

Look out!  These little guys have the potential to explode in the oven.  (Think…popcorn!)  So don’t be surprised if you hear a few “pops” as they finish up.  :)

Comments

1. Misty — February 21, 2010 @ 3:27 am (#)

I keep meaning to make these. I love snacking too, especially more virtuous snaking. :)

2. Erica — February 22, 2010 @ 11:42 am (#)

Ooooh great idea! I’ll be picking up a can of chickpeas this afternoon, these look wonderful!

3. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 22, 2010 @ 4:01 pm (#)

Yum! I have seen a few recipes for roasted chick peas, but haven’t tried them yet. These look amazing… I will definitely be making some of my own very soon.

4. Diane — February 22, 2010 @ 4:14 pm (#)

such a wonderful idea, I think I will try this tonight – sounds easy and delicious. Thanks!!

5. Janet — February 23, 2010 @ 1:47 pm (#)

Hi :-) I just made these with cajun seasoning. They aren’t as pretty as yours, I think I cooked them a little too long, but they ~are~ good. The more I pick at them the more they grow on me, I can see myself working these into my diet. Some of mine ‘popped’ when I was stirring and that startled me quite a bit, even with your warning, lol. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Michelle @ Italian Mama Chef — February 24, 2010 @ 6:13 am (#)

I have made these several times but they never come out very good. I am going to try again, maybe I didn’t blot off enough water? I’ll let you know. BTW, Heather at Breakup Cookbook led me here with that shrimp dish. Yum!!!

7. Melissa — February 25, 2010 @ 8:43 am (#)

I love this recipe! I tried it last night and just posted it on my blog, I mention you here http://foodiesatworkdotcom.blogspot.com/2010/02/roasted-chickpeas.html

Thanks for the great recipe!

Melissa

8. Kathleen Cheevers — March 14, 2010 @ 1:41 pm (#)

These look awesome, Allison! I’m getting the ingredients today!

9. marla {family fresh cooking} — March 16, 2010 @ 1:29 pm (#)

These chickepeas are looking great! Lovely photos and blog!!

10. Natalie — March 21, 2010 @ 5:11 pm (#)

I made them, and they are great!

• ali — March 23, 2010 @ 10:10 am (#)

Yay! So glad you enjoyed them Natalie!

11. catie — June 24, 2010 @ 11:56 am (#)

how long do roasted chick peas last after you bake them?