This classic tomato basil soup recipe is made simple with just five everyday ingredients.
- 3 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful basil leaves, julienned
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil to a large saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until nearly boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or alternately, transfer soup to a traditional blender and puree until smooth, then return to pan.) Stir in heavy cream until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.