This Salted Dark Chocolate Tart is incredibly quick and easy to prep, made with healthier gluten-free ingredients, and tastes ultra-decadent and delicious. Feel free to customize the filling with your favorite add-ins (see ideas above).
- 2 cups almond flour (a.k.a. almond meal)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Chocolate Filling Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk*
- 1 pound (16 ounces) dark chocolate*, roughly-chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- topping: flaky sea salt
- To Make The Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together crust ingredients in a bowl until evenly combined. Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan (or pie dish). Bake for 12 minutes, or until it begins to feel dry and firm. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To Make The Chocolate Filling: Meanwhile, as the crust is baking, heat the coconut milk on the stovetop or in the microwave until simmering. Place the dark chocolate in a bowl, and pour the coconut milk evenly over the top of it. Wait 30 seconds, then slowly stir together until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt until combined.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the baked crust, and smooth the top with a spoon until it is even. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Serve chilled, sprinkled with flaky sea salt.
Almond meal: If you don’t have almond meal/flour, you can ground up a bunch of almonds in the food processor until they form a coarse powder. (Be careful not to over-process them, or they will turn into almond butter!)
Coconut milk: Slightly less than one (13.5-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk. Be sure that the coconut milk is evenly whisked before measuring it out. (Or if you prefer not to use coconut milk, you could substitute heavy cream instead.)
Chocolate: I chopped up a bunch of chocolate bars for this recipe. But you can also sub in dark or semisweet chocolate chips, if you’d like.