A quick and easy high-protein breakfast.
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients:
- 2 small tortillas
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- seasoned black beans (recipe below)
- (optional) salsa
Black Beans Ingredients:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper
To Make The Breakfast Burritos:
- Lay the tortillas flat on a serving dish. Layer scrambled eggs, cheese, avocado and black beans down the center of the tortillas, then roll to close. Serve warm.
To Make The Black Beans:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Then add the black beans, chili powder, oregano, and cumin, and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and let cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh cilantro and lime juice, then season with a generous pinch (or two) of salt and pepper.