Blue cheese and bacon are the PERFECT combo for this killer macaroni and cheese recipe.
- 8 strips (about 1/2 lb.) bacon, diced
- 1 (12-ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni (I used DeLallo whole wheat)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 5 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 4 oz. freshly-grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Heat bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until crispy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, egg, salt, pepper and cayenne until combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously-salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and then return it to the pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Immediately add the butter, and toss until the butter is melted. Pour in the evaporated milk mixture and stir until combined. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and add in the cheeses. Stir until melted, then stir in the cooked bacon. Serve immediately, garnished with extra bacon and blue cheese if desired.