These butternut squash and mushroom tacos are made with simple ingredients, and full of the most delicious flavor!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups finely diced butternut squash (about 1/2 of a large butternut squash that has been peeled and seeded)
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 serrano pepper, stem removed and thinly sliced (*I recommend using a seeded jalapeno instead, if you prefer less heat)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- corn tortillas
- for serving: chopped fresh cilantro, diced white onions, lime wedges, crumbled cotija cheese
Chipotle Lime Crema Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- pinch of salt
To Make The Tacos:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saute pan. Add butternut squash, and saute for 6-8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer the squash to a separate plate using a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the saute pan. Add mushrooms and serrano, and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir the butternut squash in with the mushrooms, then season with salt and pepper and cumin to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas for a few seconds each in the skillet, if you would like. Then assemble the tacos by layering two corn tortillas together, topped with some of the butternut mixture, sprinkled with cilantro/onions/lime if you would like, and then drizzled with the crema.
To Make The Crema:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor blender, and pulse until combined.
- Or, just finely chop the chipotle in adobo, and stir it in with the other ingredients until combined.