A delicious cherry pie recipe made with a fresh sweet cherry pie filling.
- 1 unbaked double pie crust recipe
- 5 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 Tbsp of butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- sugar for sprinkling (I used turbinado)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss together the pitted cherries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, vanilla extract and corn starch in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust, and gently lay it in a 9-inch pie pan. (See detailed instructions here.) Transfer the cherry filling to the pie crust, and sprinkle with little dots of butter.
- Roll out the top pie crust, and either lay on top and cut a few slits in the middle to make a full double pie crust (detailed instructions here). Or cut the top pie crust into strips to make a lattice pie crust.
- Brush pie crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or freeze for 10 minutes, before baking.
- Place the pie in the middle rack, with a baking sheet or pie of aluminum foil on the rack below to catch any pie drippings. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350°F and cook for 35-45 additional minutes, or until the crust is nicely golden and the filling is thick and bubbly.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before serving.