This Chicken Souvlaki recipe is easy to cook in the oven or on the grill, and tastes DELICIOUS when loaded up in a pita with all of your favorite toppings!
- 1.5 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces*
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- juice of 1 large fresh lemon
- for serving: pita bread, fresh baby arugula (or chopped Romaine), thinly-sliced red onions, sliced cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, chopped fresh parsley, tzatziki sauce
- Combine chicken pieces, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper and lemon juice in a large ziplock bag or mixing bowl, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Seal/cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- Remove chicken from bag/bowl, and discard the leftover marinade. Thread chicken onto skewers**.
- To Cook Chicken On The Grill: Preheat grill to medium-high. Place skewers on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Transfer skewers to a separate plate, and set aside.
- To Cook Chicken In The Oven: Preheat broiler, and place the rack about 5-6 inches from the top of the oven. Place skewers on a large baking sheet, and broil for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Transfer skewers to a separate plate, and set aside.
- To assemble the chicken souvlaki pitas, lay a piece of pita bread out on a flat surface, and top it with a few pieces of chicken and your desired toppings and tzatziki sauce. Serve immediately.
*I recommend using traditional olive oil for this recipe, not extra virgin olive oil, since it has a higher smoke point.
**If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them completely in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking so that they do not burn.