These Chipotle Sofritas Tacos are made with tofu and beans, tossed in a chipotle tomato sauce, and can be topped with any of your favorite toppings. Plus they can easily be made gluten-free and vegan.
Sofritas Tacos Ingredients:
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm organic tofu, drained
- 1 batch chipotle sauce (see below)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper or poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- warmed corn or flour tortillas
- optional toppings for serving (choose your favorites): any kind of salsa (*see recipe below for my corn salsa), Mexican crema or sour cream, guacamole, crumbled queso fresco, chopped fresh cilantro and white onion, fresh lime wedges, etc.
Chipotle Sauce Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- quarter of a small white onion, peeled
- 1 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- generous pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper
How To Make The Sofritas Tacos:
- Roll up the block of tofu in a few layers of paper towels, then place the covered tofu on a plate and place something heavy on top of it to help it drain. I usually use a plastic cutting board on top, covered with a few cookbooks. Let the tofu drain for at least 15 minutes, replacing the paper towels if they get too wet. (*To speed this up even more, cut the tofu into four skinny rectangles, and do the same process with them. The tofu will drain faster if it’s not quite as thick.)
- While the tofu is draining, make the chipotle sauce (see below).
- When you’re ready to cook the sofritas, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a stockpot or large saute pan. Add the tofu and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, gently stirring every minute or so, until the tofu is cooked and slightly browned around the edges, and the red pepper is cooked and softened.
- Add in the beans and chipotle sauce, and stir to combine. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the sauce reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmering for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, spooning the sofritas into warmed tortillas, topped with your desired toppings.
How To Make The Chipotle Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and season with extra salt and black pepper (or other ingredients), if needed.
Corn Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 jalapeno, cored and finely-diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely-diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt and ground cumin
Corn Salsa Directions:
- Toss all ingredients until combined. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Inspired by the famous sofritas tofu tacos from Chipotle.