The BEST recipe I’ve found for classic banana muffins! Detailed instructions and photos included.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 very ripe, mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup plain (or banana-flavored) yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Optional: 1 cups toasted, coarsely-chopped walnuts)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin liners or lightly grease muffin pan. (For banana bread, grease bottom only of regular loaf pan, or grease and flour bottom and sides of nonstick 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.) Set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (and optional walnuts) in large bowl; set aside.
- Mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with wooden spoon in medium bowl. Lightly fold banana mixture into dry ingredients with rubber spatula until just combined and batter looks thick and chunky. Scrape batter into prepared muffin cups; bake until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Cooks Illustrated