This Cranberry Mulled Wine recipe is quick and easy to make, full of great flavor, and perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup brandy (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2-inch knob of fresh ginger, halved lengthwise
- 2 to 6 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, sugar, or honey), to taste
- optional garnishes: orange slices, fresh cranberries, cinnamon sticks, fresh rosemary
- Combine ingredients. Add wine, cranberry juice, brandy, orange slices, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, ginger and 2 tablespoons sweetener to a large saucepan. Stir briefly to combine.
- Simmer. Cook the mulled wine on medium-high heat until it just barely reaches a simmer. (Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain. Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise and ginger. Give the mulled wine a taste, and stir in extra sweetener if needed.
- Serve. Serve warm in heat-proof mugs, topped with your favorite garnishes.
Mugs: I used these small 8-ounce glass mugs from IKEA in the photos above.