Energy bite ingredients:
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 10 to 12 dates)
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- zest of 1 orange + 2 tablespoons orange juice
Optional orange-coconut coating:
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- zest of 1 orange
- Blend. Combine all of the energy bite ingredients in a food processor and pulse, pausing to scrape down the sides anytime needed, until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Roll into balls. Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop (or a spoon), scoop the mixture into heaping tablespoon-fulls. Then roll into round balls, about 1-inch each in diameter. (If you briefly wet your hands with water before rolling, it will help the mixture not to stick.)
- Mix the coating (if using). Stir together the shredded coconut and orange zest in a small bowl until combined. Roll the balls in the coating, if you would like.
- Serve or store. Then serve and enjoy! Any leftover energy bites can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.