This Creamy Ham and Potato Soup recipe is easy to make, ready to go in about 30 minutes, and SO flavorful and creamy and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups ALDI organic milk, warmed
- 1.5 pounds baby Yukon gold (or regular-sized Yukon gold) potatoes, diced
- 2 cups diced leftover ham (I used ALDI Specially Selected Spiral Cut Double-Glazed Brown Sugar Ham)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- Heat oil (or melt butter) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the celery, carrots and garlic. Continue sautéing, for 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour until combined, and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock until it is completely combined. Stir in the milk, potatoes, ham, bay leaf, dried thyme, salt and pepper until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but not boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally every few minutes so that the bottom of the soup does not burn. (The smaller you dice your potatoes, the faster they will cook.)
- Once the potatoes are soft, give the soup a taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
If you would like a cheesier soup, feel free to stir in 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese at the end of cooking. It’s delicious!