This creamy pasta with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes is made with a lighter creamy alfredo sauce, and tossed with chicken and sweet sun-dried tomatoes.
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta (I used farfalle, aka “bow tie” pasta)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (6-ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped or julienned fresh basil, loosely-packed
- creamy garlic sauce (recipe below)
- optional toppings: crushed red pepper flakes, extra Parmesan, toasted pine nuts
Creamy Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Almond Breeze original unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To Make The Pasta:
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta water is heating, begin making your cream sauce. (See instructions below.) Once the sauce and pasta are cooked, toss them together with the chopped chicken breasts, sun-dried tomatoes and half of the fresh basil until evenly combined. Serve immediately, garnished with the remaining fresh basil and optional toppings (if desired).
- To Make The Sauce:
- Heat olive oil (or butter) in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the flour, and saute for an additional minute, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add in the almond milk, whisking to combine until smooth. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer and thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until the cheese is melted. Reduce heat to low until pasta reaches al dente and you are ready to toss the sauce with the pasta.