- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked pasta, any shape (I used penne)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry rosé wine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- optional toppings: extra Parmesan, extra basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and/or toasted pine nuts
- To Make The Roasted Tomatoes: Heat oven to 400°F. Spread the tomatoes out on a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet, toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack until ready to use.
- To Make The Pasta: Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted water according to package instructions. Drain.
- To Make The Sauce: Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the flour and tomato paste until evenly combined, sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally. Then gradually pour in the rosé, followed by the milk, and whisk until combined.
- Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer and thickens. Then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes until it has partially reduced. Stir in the Parmesan (I also recommend a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes). Then taste, and season with a few generous pinches of salt and pepper if needed.
- To Wrap It All Up: Combine the cooked/drained pasta, roasted tomatoes, sauce, baby spinach, and basil together in the large stockpot, and toss for 1-2 minutes, until the spinach is slightly wilted and the pasta is evenly coated in the sauce. Serve immediately, garnished with your desired toppings.