Hi everyone! Ali here, from Gimme Some Oven. I am so excited to introduce you to the new main writer for the Gimme Some Style section of the blog — the lovely Liz!
Any of you who follow me on Instagram will know that I am in love with Quay Coffee, our neighborhood coffee shop. And it just so happens that Liz and her husband are two of the owners! She and I actually only met a few months ago, but we realized right away that we were kindred spirits in our love of all things DIY and crafty! As her husband once told me, she always has at least 3 or 4 craft projects going at a time, and I have loved hearing her ideas for sweet gifts, home decor, entertaining, fashion, you name it! This girl is super creative!
And as is the case with her craft projects, her home decor, and her fashion sense, Liz has this amazing ability to find everything for ridiculously low prices. Seriously. I always find myself complimenting her on her cute and creative outfits. But 9 times out of 10, the story comes out that she found this or that at a thrift store, or for some amazing discount, or just that she managed to “rework” pieces that she already had to make a totally new look.
The same goes with their adorable loft, which happens to be across the street from me. (Yay, neighbors!) I can’t wait for her to share some pictures with you — you will certainly be inspired! Liz definitely has an eye for putting together a room, combining different styles, and for finding all sorts of special pieces to make it feel like “home”. And of course, all on a budget. I love it.
More than anything, Liz is just a beautiful, encouraging, hilarious, and deeply kind friend. Her smile will light up a room, and she has this way of making everyone around her feel welcome and loved.
So read on for a fun interview to learn more about Liz and what’s ahead for Gimme Some Style!
Interview with Liz
Ali: So clearly, I absolutely adore your sense of “style”. You are always so creative with your DIY projects, your home decor, and the cute outfits you piece together. But how would YOU describe your sense of style?
Liz: I guess if I would describe my style I would say casual and comfortable. I don’t by any means consider myself a style expert. I have found a style that I enjoy wearing and fits my lifestyle. Most days you will find me in a pair of skinny jeans, boots, a cute shirt and scarf, and in the summer I love a nice sundress… nothing too fancy, but I do like to put a little personality into what I wear!
What are you most excited about with blogging for Gimme Some Style?
I am excited to have somewhere to document my life and things that I am interested in! I think too often we let ourselves go through life without taking time to take a picture and make a tangible memory. I’m excited to show others how to find their own personal style, and to hopefully rid their fears of doing things on your own. I also love that I have a great excuse to buy new clothes! (“Honey, It’s for the blog!”)
What would you say is your life motto?
I really love the quote from the song “Nature Boy” by Eden Ahbez, “The Greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return” Of course I love it most in the movie Moulin Rouge :) It’s amazing what can come from opening yourself up and building a relationship with others around you!
- Place to buy clothes: I love Marshalls — seriously every time I go there I can find something great. I also shop a lot at local thrift stores and even Goodwill.
- Magazine/Catalogue: I’m a sucker for Urban Outfitters — they have such an artistic way of displaying their merchandise that makes you want to rip it out of the magazine and tape it to a wall.
- DIY creation: Probably have to go with the cork travel map I made my husband last Christmas.
- Comfort food: Mashed Potatoes…they are just a fluffy cloud of goodness every time. I could eat them as a side with every meal. And pizza… with mashed potatoes on top (too far?) really though, we eat pizza at least twice a week. I’m not even going to get into sweets, but let’s just say anything warm and fresh out of the oven will cause me to eat the entire pan.
- Piece of furniture: Too many to count.. I usually find most of my furnishings from garage sales or craigslist so each piece has a story to it, I especially love my dining room chairs though! $40.00 for all 6!
- Place you’ve traveled: This is a hard one for me, I am always drawn towards the ocean so I would like to say Sorrento, Italy. The countryside of Germany is so beautiful though, and then of course the Swiss Alps! I just really love to go places I have never been and meet new people along the way.
- Signature fashion accessory: I guess I would say a scarf… I seem to wear scarves in any season and I just love the way it can dress up any outfit.
- 4-Legged Friend: My crazy, awesome and also terrible golden-doodle Veda..
- Way to spend a Saturday afternoon: Camping in my VW camper bus with my husband
- Place to hang in Kansas City: Quay Coffee :)
Tell us a little bit about what is ahead for Gimme Some Style. What sorts of posts can readers look forward to each week?
The posts will definitely revolve around the “Big 3” – DIY, Fashion and For The Home. But within those topics, I’m also looking forward to some regular features such as:
- Manage it Monday: Mondays will be all about getting organized! Some posts will be a quick simple fix that anyone can do in 5 minutes, while others may be tackling the dreaded spaces like underneath the bed or the dark abyss of the common “junk drawer” I like the challenge of making areas that you usually hide when people come over into places you want to show off!
- Style Snapshot: This will be a weekly post on what I am currently wearing where I will let you know where I got each item and quick photo shoot.
- Mix it up!: I will be taking an item of clothing (ex. sweater, skirt, etc.) and showing how I like to piece together outfits using the same article in different ways. I think sometimes we think we need to get a new outfit when really we just need to learn how to give the ones we’ve got a fresh look!
- D.I.Y: This will be in regards to fashion and the home. Some of my projects will be quick and easy, while others may end up being a series, or work in progress!
Thanks, Liz! And then finally, a little “interview” question for YOU as readers.
What would YOU like to see on Gimme Some Style? We would love to hear your comments!