This easy chicken chili recipe is easy to make on the stovetop in just 30 minutes, it’s naturally gluten-free, and tastes SO cozy and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 (15-oz) can beans of your choice, rinsed and drained (I used pinto and dark red kidney beans)
- 2 cups diced or shredded chicken*
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, diced green or red onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or crumbled corn tortilla chips
- Sauté veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, beans, chicken, diced green chiles, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the chili reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes.
- Season: Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve: Serve immediately, piled high with all of your favorite toppings.
Storage instructions: Leftovers can refrigerated in a food storage container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Chicken recommendations: I made this recipe with some Instant Pot Shredded Chicken that I had in the freezer. But you could also make and dice/shred my Baked Chicken Breast recipe, or just buy and shred a rotisserie chicken!