This Easy Chicken Posole Verde recipe is ready to go in just 20 minutes on the stove, or you can let it simmer in the slow cooker all day. It’s flavorful, naturally gluten-free, and SO comforting and delish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (4-ounce) cans Old El Paso diced green chiles
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more/less to taste
- garnishes: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, thinly-sliced or julienned radishes, lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and poblano and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute, stirring occasionally. Add the diced green chiles, chicken stock, hominy, chicken, cumin and salt, and stir to combine. Continue heating until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes. Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, topped with your desired garnishes.
This soup can also be made easily in the slow cooker. Just add all of your ingredients (minus the garnishes) to your slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the onions are cooked through and soft. Serve warm, topped with your desired garnishes.