A quick and easy for Italian meatballs served with a smoky tomato sauce.
For The Meatballs:
- 1.5 lb. ground beef or pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely-diced white onion
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
For The Sauce:
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Combine the beef (or pork), breadcrumbs, onion, Parmesan, garlic, eggs, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Use a potato masher or your hands to combine the mixture until evenly-mixed.
- Use a small scoop or a spoon to measure out a rounded tablespoon-full of the mixture, and then roll it into a ball. Set aside. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture and set aside.
To Make On The Stovetop:
- Meanwhile, heat the crushed tomatoes in a large, deep sauté pan (or stockpot) over medium-high heat until simmering. Stir in the smoked paprika, season with salt and pepper, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the meatballs in a single layer, coating with the sauce. Cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through, turning the meatballs once or twice. Remove and set on a serving plate, ladling any of the extra sauce on top of the meatballs. Serve with bamboo forks or toothpicks if desired.
To Make In A Slow Cooker:
- Stir together the crushed tomatoes and smoked paprika in the bowl of the slow cooker . Add the meatballs in a single layer, coating with the sauce. Cover and cook on low until meatballs are tender, about 4-6 hours.