This fattoush salad recipe is made with a delicious blend of fresh greens, veggies and herbs, crispy toasted pita chips, and a bright and zippy lemon dressing.
Fattoush Salad Ingredients:
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 English cucumber, thinly-sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely-packed chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cups pita chips, homemade* or store-bought
- ground sumac and freshly-ground black pepper
Lemon Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- (optional: 2-3 teaspoons honey to sweeten, if desired)
- Make the lemon dressing: Vigorously whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl (or shake together in a mason jar) for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Make the salad: Combine the Romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, radishes, mint, and half of the pita chips in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle evenly with the lemon dressing, then toss until evenly combined.
- Serve: Serve immediately, garnished with the remaining pita chips, plus an extra sprinkle of sumac and freshly-ground black pepper.
Homemade pita chips: To make homemade pita chips, slice or tear pita bread into bite-sized pieces. Toss it with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Then bake at 400°F for 7 to 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your pita chips) until golden and crispy.