You will love this Flank Steak with Peppercorn Cream Sauce recipe! Includes detailed instructions for a peppercorn sauce that can be enjoyed with any of your favorite steaks.
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- freshly ground black pepper
Peppercorn Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. peppercorns (any color)
- 1 Tbsp. finely-chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 oz. PHILADELPHIA brand cream cheese
- For The Steak:
- Place the steak in a large zip top bag, and use a meat mallet to pound the steak to even thickness. (This can also be done with a rolling pin.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic until well-combined. Pour the marinade into the zip top bag with the steak, seal, and then rub the marinade all around until it has evenly covered the steak. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook, remove steak from the refrigerator, and let rest until it reaches room temperature. Then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- To cook on the grill, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Then place the steak on the grill, and cook about 6-7 minutes per side for medium done-ness. (Cook about one minute more per side for medium-well, and one minute less per side for medium-rare.) Remove, and tent with aluminum foil to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut the steak against the grain when ready to serve, and top with peppercorn sauce.
- To cook on the stove, heat an extra 2 Tbsp. canola or safflower oil in a skillet (preferably cast-iron, but any will work) over high-heat. Add steak, and cook about 4-5 minutes per side for medium doneness. (Cook about one minute more per side for medium-well, and one minute less per side for medium-rare.) Remove steak, and tent with aluminum foil to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut the steak against the grain when ready to serve, and top with peppercorn sauce.
- For The Peppercorn Cream Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, whisk together (cold) beef broth and cornstarch. Turn heat to medium, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the peppercorns, sage, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Then add in the PHILADELPHIA brand cream cheese, and break it up with a bit with your spoon. Continue stirring slowly until the cream cheese has fully melted, and sauce is smooth and well-combined. Season with extra salt if needed, and remove from heat. Serve immediately over steak.