This fresh tomatillo salsa (salsa verde cruda) recipe is easy to make in 5 minutes with 100% raw ingredients, and it tastes refreshingly light, sweet, and full of fresh flavors!
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos (husks and stems removed)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, stem removed (and cored, if you desire less heat)
- 1 little gem lettuce (or one large leaf of Romaine)
- 1 fresh lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Chile peppers: If you would like less heat, I recommend using a jalapeño pepper with the core removed. For extra heat, use 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers.
Storage instructions: Salsa can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 or 5 days.
Source: Recipe adapted from Chef Gabriela Camara.