This gin margarita recipe (a.k.a. the “margatini”) is a delicious twist on this traditional cocktail.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 ounce Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 3/4 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- optional sweeteners: agave nectar or simple syrup, if desired
- for serving: lime wedge, coarse salt, ice
- If you would like salt-rimmed glasses, begin by running a lime slice (the juicy part) around the top rim of a glass. Fill a shallow bowl with salt, and dip the rim in the salt until it is covered with your desired amount of salt. Set aside.
- Add gin, lime juice and Cointreau to a cocktail shaker, and shake or stir until combined. Taste, and if you would like it to be sweeter, stir in a half teaspoon of agave or simple syrup at a time, until the mix reaches your desired level of sweetness.
- Fill glass with ice. Pour in the margarita mixture over the rocks. Serve immediately, garnished with an extra lime wedge if desired.