This gnocchi, mushroom and kale soup is made with a creamy garlic-rosemary broth and can be ready to go in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (16-ounce) package uncooked gnocchi
- 4 cups (about 4 ounces) finely-chopped fresh kale (tough stems discarded)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- Sauté the veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 additional minutes, stirring once per minute.
- Simmer. Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, and stir to combine. Continue cooking the soup until it reaches a simmer. Then cover, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook the gnocchi and kale. Stir in the gnocchi and kale until combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the gnocchi are completely tender.
- Season. Stir in the heavy cream until combined. Discard the bay leaf. Then taste and season the soup with salt and black pepper as needed. (Feel free to also add more cream if you’d like.)
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with Parmesan cheese if you’d like.