This Herb-Lovers Lemony Orzo Salad is full of fresh and zesty ingredients that everyone will love! Perfect for serving as a main dish or side, and easy to customize with your favorite add-ins.
- 12 ounces uncooked orzo (or any pasta shape)
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- half a small red onion, diced
- 1 cup roughly-chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup roughly-chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1–2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- optional: 1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain pasta then rinse thoroughly in a strainer with cold water until the pasta is chilled. Transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl (using cheese if desired). Toss until evenly combined. Taste, and season with a few generous pinches of salt and pepper, to taste. (I used about 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.) Also feel free to add in extra lemon juice if you’d like an extra-lemony salad. (
- Serve immediately. Or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.