To make a holiday cheese board, I recommend starting out with 1 or 2 items from each of the categories below — adjusting the amounts to fit whatever size of group you are serving — and then you can always add extra items if you would like.
- Cheese: I recommend starting with a mix of aged cheddar, goat cheese, blue cheese and/or brie. Then you can also add in Manchego and a wild card cheese of your choice, if you would like.
- Olives/peppers: Red and/or green olives of your choice, plus any extra pickles, cheese-stuffed peppadew peppers, bruschetta spreads, or tapenades that you would like
- Fruit: A red and green mixture of fresh grapes, berries and sliced pears (dried fruit would also be a good seasonal option in the wintertime)
- Crackers/bread: A mix of your favorite crackers and/or fresh baguette slices
- Jams/spreads: Jam, honey, Dijon mustard, and/or pesto
- Nuts: A few handfuls of your favorite nuts (almonds, pistachios, etc.), seeds (pepitas, sunflower seeds, etc.) or candied nuts
- Cured meats (optional): Prosciutto, salami, etc.
- Garnish (optional): Sprigs of fresh rosemary or sage
- Start with the cheese. Arrange your cheeses so that they are evenly-spaced around the board. Then go ahead and either partially (of fully) slice/crumble each cheese, and place a cheese knife (if needed) nearby so that people can easily serve themselves.
- Add any jars/bowls. Next, place any jars or bowls full of ingredients that you will be using (such as for olives, peppers, pickles, jams, spreads, etc.) evenly around the board, along with serving spoons (if needed).
- Add crackers/bread. Place crackers and bread evenly around the board so that they are easily accessible.
- Add fruit. Use the fruit to fill in some of the remaining holes and add some pretty pops of color to your cheese board.
- Add nuts. Sprinkle nuts around the board, to fill in any of the final remaining gaps.
- Add garnish (optional). For a holiday-themed board, feel free to add in a few sprigs of extra rosemary or sage as festive garnish.
- Serve. Then serve up your cheese board and enjoy!