My favorite method for how to cut fresh leeks.
- 1 leek
- Rinse the leek. Then pat dry, and lay it flat on a cutting board.
- Use a knife to cut off and discard the root end of the leek. Then cut off the dark green leaves, which you can set aside to flavor broths or other recipes later.
- Carefully make a vertical slice down the center of the remaining white/light-yellow green stalk, dividing it in two. Then place the flat side of each half down on the cutting board, and thinly slice into half moons of your desired size. Or, julienne the leek into thin strips.
- Transfer the cut leeks into a large bowl of clean water. Then break them up with your fingers so that any small hidden pieces of dirt can dislodge. Rinse and drain the leeks one final time.
- Use immediately, or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.