This nourishing Hummus and Veggies Breakfast Bowl is filled with feel-good, flavorful favorites that combine to make a perfectly savory and delicious meal!
Breakfast Bowls Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus¹, cut into bite-sized pieces (with ends trimmed and discarded)
- 3 cups shredded kale leaves
- 1 batch lemony dressing (see recipe below)
- 3 cups shredded (uncooked) Brussels sprouts²
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa³
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly-sliced
- 4 eggs, cooked however you’d like (I soft-boiled mine)
- garnishes: sunflower seeds (or sliced almonds), toasted sesame seeds, crushed red pepper
Lemony Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
To Make The Breakfast Bowls:
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from heat and set side.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the kale and lemony dressing. Then use your fingers to massage the dressing into the kale for 2-3 minutes, or until the leaves are dark and softened. Add the Brussels sprouts, quinoa, and cooked asparagus, and toss until combined.
- To assemble the bowls, smear a spoonful of hummus along the side of each bowl. Then portion the kale salad evenly between the four bowls, top with avocado, egg, and your desired garnishes. Serve immediately.
To Make The Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until combined.
¹ Feel free to use your favorite vegetable(s) here in place of asparagus, sautéing or roasting them until cooked.
² To shred your Brussels sprouts, either thinly-slice them with a knife by hand. Or — my favorite — let the disc slicer on a food processor do all of the work for you.
³ To yield about 1.5 cups quinoa, you will need about 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa and 1 cup chicken (or vegetable) stock. Here is my tutorial for how to cook quinoa.