This Italian Orzo Tuna Salad recipe is one of my all-time faves — fresh, zesty, savory, and blessedly mayo-free.
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 handfuls baby spinach, roughly-chopped
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna, drained
- half of a small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Lemon Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed or finely-minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
To Make The Pasta Salad:
- Cook orzo in a large stockpot of generously-salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta, then rinse thoroughly with cold water in a colander until the pasta is completely chilled.
- Transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and prepared dressing (see below), and toss until evenly combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Then serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
To Make The Dressing:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl (or shake together in a mason jar) until combined. Use immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.