Italian Sausage, Kale & Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes
My how time flies! It is now Week 5 of the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange, and Cassie and I are super excited this week to be celebrating tomato PASTAS with you all. And we are extra excited that our sponsor for the week is one of our favorite pasta makers — Pappardelle’s! Be sure to read below to enter our giveaway for a chance to win a giftcard to enjoy some of their amazing pastas.
I have also been so excited to see so many of our readers and fellow bloggers rally around the Recipe for Change project this summer to help support our country’s tomato farmers. If you haven’t already, would so love to have each of you take a minute (or really, less than a minute!) to encourage your local grocery stores to sign the Fair Food Pledge. Tons of grocery stores (i.e. Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and more) have already committed to paying fair wages, but we will need help encouraging everyone else to sign on. So if you have a free minute, click here for an easy link to cheer on some of your local grocery stores, and together we really can make a difference in supporting our tomato farmers!
Which…I’m super excited about. Especially when we can use those fabulous tomatoes in dishes like this one! My contribution to our pasta week is this simple Italian Sausage, Kale & Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes dish. You can use whatever orzo you’d like, but I loved using Pappardelle’s Lemon Garlic orzo — so tasty! All of the ingredients came together wonderfully making this a dish packed with great flavor and freshness. These definitely fall in the less-than-30-minute-meals category, plus the presentation is always fun!
So give them a try, and don’t forget to scroll down for a chance to win some Pappardelle’s pasta of your own!
Italian Sausage, Kale & Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes
A quick and easy pasta dish that’s packed with the great flavors of Italian sausage, kale, orzo, and delicious tomatoes!
- 8 oz. (half pound) Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 8 oz. orzo
- 4-6 large tomatoes, cored and hollowed out
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, crumbling while it cooks. Remove cooked sausage from pan with a slotted spoon.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook in the sausage grease for 5 minutes until the onion is cooked and translucent. Add the kale and chicken broth. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the kale is wilted and cooked. Reduce heat to low and add in the heavy cream (or half and half) and the cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
Meanwhile, cook the orzo in a large pot of boiling, generously-salted water according to package instructions. When cooked, use a slotted spoon to add the orzo plus a half cup of reserved pasta water to the sausage and kale mixture. Stir until combined, then remove from heat. Spoon the pasta into the hollowed-out tomatoes and garnish with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
Feel free to chop up some of the tomato that you removed and add it to the pasta for even more tomato goodness!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I'd love to see what you cook!
How To Participate In The “Tomato Love Recipe Exchange” Pastas Week:
For a chance to win a Pappardelle’s Giftcard :
- Write and post a recipe on your blog featuring tomato SOUPS.
- Include “”Come share in the tomato love at the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange, hosted by Gimme Some Oven & Bake Your Day, sponsored this week by Pappardelle’s. Also visit Recipe for Change to learn more about how to support tomato farmers.” in your blog post.
- No blog? Just leave your recipe in the comments section.
- Add your link to the InLinkz widget below (we have the same widget code, so only add it on one site).
- Submit your post before Sunday August 12, 11:59pm CST.
- Anyone can participate in the link up, but the prizes will ship to US addresses only.
- More detailed info is available here. There are ways to earn additional entries, make sure to come back to this post and leave a comment for each entry that you complete.
Additional Entries For Everyone!
You can earn up to three additional entries by doing each of the following, but you must leave a comment below saying that you have done so.
- Twitter: Tweet the following: Join @gimmesomeoven & @bakeyourday in celebrating tomato farmers/recipes at the #r4c #TomatoLove Recipe Exchange! – http://bit.ly/MKMmcb
- Instagram: Instagram a photo of your submitted recipe(s) with the following text: “I just shared (your recipe’s name) in the #TomatoLove Recipe Exchange.”
- Pinterest: Pin any image from this post, inviting people to participate in the recipe exchange. Use the #TomatoLove hashtag.