These Italian Sausage and Veggie Bowls are roasted with Italian herbs, served with Parmesan Garlic Orzo, and perfect for easy meal prep for the week ahead. Feel free to sub in whatever seasonal veggies you have on hand!
Italian Sausage and Veggie Bowl Ingredients:
- 8 cups chopped veggies (I used 2 cups cherry tomatoes, 1 bunch asparagus, 1 red bell pepper, 1 small red onion, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 8-ounce carton baby bella mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound Italian sausage or smoked sausage (I used Italian chicken sausage)
- 1 batch Garlic Parmesan Orzo Pasta (see below)
- optional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese and/or finely-chopped fresh parsley or basil
Garlic Parmesan Orzo Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 pound (16 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- How To Make The Italian Sausage and Veggie Bowls:
- Prepare the Garlic Parmesan Orzo (see below).
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Italian sausage, chopped veggies and olive oil. Then sprinkle evenly with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Toss thoroughly until evenly combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet, and spread everything out into an even layer. Season evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, removing the baking sheet and stirring once at the halfway mark, until the veggies are tender and cooked through. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the sausage/veggie mixture and the orzo are ready to go, portion everything evenly into 6 small storage containers. Sprinkle with your desired toppings.
- Serve immediately, or seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- How To Make The Garlic Parmesan Orzo:
- Cook orzo al dente in generously-salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, as the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil (or butter) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant. Whisk in the flour until evenly combined, then cook the mixture for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually whisked in the milk until it is completely combined. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches a very low simmer and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese until evenly combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.