You will adore these jam pockets, and they’re a cinch to make!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cold & cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- jam, any flavor
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt until mixed. Toss in the cubed butter and give it a few long buzzes, until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Toss in the egg and vanilla and buzz a couple more times, until a very soft dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Roll the dough out (about 1/8″ thick) and use a cookie cutter (or a drinking glass) to cut into circles. Add a dollop of jam (about 1 heaping tsp.) to the middle of each circle and gently fold the edges inward, overlapping in the middle. Or you could just fold it into a half circle and completely close the pocket, but then you can’t see what kind of jam you’re getting before you bite into it. :)
- Bake for about 10 minutes. The bottoms should be just faintly brown, the tops will not be. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar or superfine baker’s sugar if desired.
Adapted from Heart of Light