This homemade kettle corn recipe is super-easy to make on the stovetop with 4 simple ingredients.
- Prep a sheet pan. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Heat the oil. Add the oil and 3 or 4 popcorn kernels to a 3-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cover and heat over medium-high heat until the kernels begin to pop.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Immediately add the popcorn kernels and shake the pan to coat the kernels in the oil. (I find it works best to wear an oven mitt with one hand to hold the lid, and carefully shake the pan using your other hand to hold the handle.) Sprinkle the sugar and salt evenly over the popcorn kernels, then cover and shake the pan to combine.
- Pop the popcorn. Continue cooking, giving the pan a quick and vigorous shake every 5 seconds or so, until there is a 2-second interval between pops.
- Cool. Immediately remove the pan from the stove, uncover, and pour the popcorn out onto the prepared baking sheet. Use a wooden spoon to break up any clumps and spread it out in an even-ish layer. Then once the popcorn has cooled slightly, remove any unpopped kernels. Let the popcorn continue to cool a few more minutes until it reaches room temperature.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy!