This lemony tortellini soup is easy to make in about 30 minutes with whatever flavor of tortellini you love best.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 16 ounces fresh tortellini
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh dill (or other fresh herbs), to taste
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel, carrot and celery. Sauté for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Simmer. Add the chicken stock and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
- Add tortellini. Add the tortellini, spinach, lemon zest and juice, fresh dill. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are cooked through.
- Season. Taste and season the soup with salt, pepper, and extra dill or lemon juice if needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with lots of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.