These Easy Lentil and Avocado Tacos are quick and simple to make, full of fresh feel-good ingredients, and SO incredibly delicious!
Lentil Avocado Tacos Ingredients:
- 1 batch zesty lentils (see below)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 large handful fresh baby arugula
- 1 cup roughly-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- quarter of a small red onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- (optional) 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- corn or flour tortillas
- (optional) crumbled cotija cheese or queso fresco
Zesty Lentils Ingredients:
- 1 cup uncooked black (beluga) or green (French) lentils
- 2.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of salt and black pepper
To Make The Tacos:
- Prepare the lentils as instructed below. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the avocado, arugula, cilantro, red onion, lime juice and serrano pepper (if using). Toss gently until combined.
- Assemble the tacos by filling your tortillas with lentils, topped with the avocado mixture, then sprinkled with the crumbled cheese (if using). Serve immediately.
To Make The Lentils:
- Rinse the lentils with water in a fine-mesh strainer, picking out and discarding any little stones that may have snuck in there. Transfer the lentils to a medium saucepan, add the stock, garlic powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook over medium-high heat, until the mixture reaches a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender. Drain, and set aside.