A simple and delicious recipe for classic lobster bisque.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped white or yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups seafood stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy (optional)
- 12 oz (or more) chopped lobster meat
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup (or more) heavy cream
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and tomato paste, and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are cooked and translucent. Sprinkle the mixture with flour, and stir to be sure that it evenly coats the veggies. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the seafood stock, white wine, cognac, lobster meat, paprika, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne, and stir to combine. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Remove the bay leaf and sprig of thyme. Stir in heavy cream, and season if needed with extra salt and pepper.
- Then puree the soup using an immersion blender. Or you can transfer the soup in small batches into a traditional blender and blending until smooth. (Always be careful not to fill a blender too full with hot liquids.)
- Serve immediately.