This Mezcal Margaritas recipe is everything you love about traditional margs, but kicked up a notch with some smoky mezcal.
- 1 ½ ounces mezcal
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or any orange liqueur)
- ¾ ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- optional: agave nectar or simple syrup for sweetening, if desired
- optional: lime wedge and salt for rimming the glass
- If you would like salt-rimmed glasses, begin by running a lime slice (the juicy part) around the top rim of a glass. Fill a shallow bowl with salt, and dip the rim in the salt until it is covered with your desired amount of salt. Set aside.
- Add mezcal, lime juice and Cointreau to a cocktail shaker, and shake or stir until combined. Taste, and if you would like it to be sweeter (most people do!), stir in a half teaspoon of agave or simple syrup until the mix reaches your desired level of sweetness.
- Fill glass with ice. Pour in the margarita mixture over the rocks. Serve immediately, garnished with an extra lime wedge if desired.