This Oaxacan Rusty Nail cocktail is made with mezcal, Drambuie, orange bitters, jalapeno, and an orange peel. So simple, and the perfect blend of all things smoky, spicy, citrus-y, and ever-so-slightly-sweet.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal (or tequila)
- 3/4 ounce Drambuie
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- optional: 1 slice jalapeño*
- 1 orange peel
- Add mezcal, Drambuie, orange bitters, and jalapeño slice (if using) to a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler or a spoon to slightly muddle the jalapeño.
- Add a handful of ice to the cocktail shaker, and stir or shake vigorously for 20 seconds or until the mixture is completely chilled.
- Run the orange peel around the rim of the glass. Then give it a twist to express the oils, and place it in the glass. Strain the chilled cocktail mixture on top of the orange peel.
- Serve immediately.
*The Drambuie itself already packs a little heat. So I recommend mixing the other ingredients first and giving the drink a taste, and then adding in extra jalapeno if you’d like.