What It Is:
Gaudí’s quirky masterpiece gives visitors a stroll through some of his most colorful and meandering landscape design. Nestled in the foothills, visitors are also treated to some lovely views of Barcelona city and the Mediterranean.
Where It’s Located:
Just above the lovely Gràcia neighborhood. | Google Map
Why We Love It:
If you’re looking for a breather from the packed streets of the Old City, Park Güell gives you a chance to stretch your legs while having a quintessential Barcelona experience. If you’re a big Gaudí fan, this will undoubtedly be on your list, despite the travel from the center city. If not, it’s still a great place to see some of Gaudí’s most whimsical work, with the city of Barcelona below.
- Book your tickets in advance. Park Güell is popular at every time of year.
- Park Güell is all about Gaudí’s substantial imagination at its peak. If you’re looking for a serene place to take a break from the rhythm of the city, this might not be your park.
- As of this writing (Jan 2017), the park’s main terrace is currently under renovation, so you’ll be looking through a bit of scaffolding and construction dust, though they’ve done a decent job at containing it.
- The park is located a bit out of the heart of the city, so consider a taxi or the tourist bus tickets if you’re short on time.
- For a more affordable option, you can take public transportation, but you’ll be walking uphill for a bit before reaching the main gate of the park (pack some water for the walk).
- Just downhill from Park Güell, you’ll run into the Gràcia neighborhood – a charming neighborhood with plenty of quality bars and restaurants.
For More Barcelona Travel Recommendations…
Check out our Gimme Some Barcelona Travel Guide, which includes a constantly-updated list of our best recommendations on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in Barcelona. Plus, we’ve also shared a bunch of our best Barcelona-specific travel tips, so that you can navigate the city like a local.
Also, feel free to download our Gimme Some Barcelona Google Map, which includes all of the recommendations listed in our travel guide.