What It Is:
Gaudí’s quirky housing-development-turned-park gives visitors a stroll through some of his most colorful and meandering landscape design. Nestled in the foothills, visitors are also treated to some lovely views of Barcelona city and the Mediterranean.
Note: Park Güell is famous and on many, many lists of recommendations. But in our opinion, due to the current construction and crowds, we can’t recommend it wholeheartedly.
Where It’s Located:
Just above the lovely Gràcia neighborhood. | Google Map
Why We Love It:
If you’re looking for a breather from the packed streets of the Old City, Park Güell gives you a chance to stretch your legs while having a quintessential Barcelona experience. If you’re a big Gaudí fan, this will undoubtedly be on your list, despite the travel from the center city. If not, it’s still a good place to see some of Gaudí’s most whimsical work, with the city of Barcelona below.
- If you’ve decided to go, definitely book your tickets in advance. Park Güell is popular at every time of year.
- Park Güell is all about Gaudí’s substantial imagination at its peak. If you’re looking for a serene place to take a break from the rhythm of the city, this might not be your park.
- The park’s main terrace is currently under renovation, so you’ll be looking through a fair amount of scaffolding and construction dust.
- The park is located a bit out of the heart of the city, so consider a taxi or the tourist bus tickets if you’re short on time.
- For a more affordable option, you can take public transportation, but you’ll be walking uphill for a bit before reaching the main gate of the park (pack some water for the walk).
- Just downhill from Park Güell, you’ll run into the Gràcia neighborhood – a charming neighborhood with plenty of quality bars and restaurants.
For More Barcelona Travel Recommendations…
Check out our Gimme Some Barcelona Travel Guide, which includes a constantly-updated list of our best recommendations on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in Barcelona. Plus, we’ve also shared a bunch of our best Barcelona-specific travel tips, so that you can navigate the city like a local.
Also, feel free to download our Gimme Some Barcelona Google Map, which includes all of the recommendations listed in our travel guide.