This Pasta with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes and Kale recipe is full of delicious savory Fall flavors. And it’s also totally easy to customize with whatever ingredients you have on hand. See above for suggestions!
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta (I used orecchiette)
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- half a medium red onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups roughly-chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or chicken or vegetable stock)
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or traditional balsamic vinegar*)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- toppings: lots and lots of freshly-grated parmesan, chopped fresh basil (optional), diced cooked bacon (optional)
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, in a large stockpot of generously-salted water. Drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespooons butter (or olive oil) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 7-9 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally, until they are tender on the inside and nice and caramelized on the outside. Transfer to a separate plate, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil) to the sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the kale, white wine and balsamic vinegar. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Once the pasta is ready to go, combine the pasta, sweet potatoes, kale mixture and pine nuts in the large stockpot, and toss to combine. Serve warm, garnished with lots of Parmesan cheese and any other desired toppings.