Peaches pair perfectly with Earl Grey tea in this delicious jam!
- 5 pounds ripe peaches
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Cut a small, shallow X in the bottom of each peach. Working in batches, blanch in a large pot of boiling water until skin loosens, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water; let cool. (If your peaches are extra soft and easy to peel, you can skip this step.)
- Peel, halve, and pit the peaches. Cut into 1/3 inch slices. Combine with sugar and juice in a large bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Place a small plate in freezer. This will be used to “test” the consistency of the jam.
- Transfer fruit mixture and 4 tea bags to a large heavy pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring gently, and cook. The time here can be difficult to judge. We cooked ours about 1 hour, but the time can range anywhere from 30-90 minutes. This is where your “test” plate will come in handy. After 30 minutes of boiling, place a small dollop of jam on the chilled plate and tip it to see if it the jam no longer runs. Repeat every 15 minutes until you have your desired thickness.
- Remove tea bags. Skim foam from the surface of jam. Ladle jam into 4 clean, hot 1-pint jars.
- Wipe rims, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.