- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ¾-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- toppings: chopped fresh cilantro and finely-chopped peanuts
- Sauté the veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add the vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, lentils, curry paste and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low (or whatever temperature is needed to maintain a low simmer), cover, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until both the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Finish. Stir in the coconut milk, kale, peanut butter and lime juice until completely combined. Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper, if needed. Feel free to also add in more curry paste or peanut butter to taste.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with cilantro and chopped peanuts, and enjoy!