Potatoes and pears together make this sweet and savory soup!
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light-green parts thinly sliced (dark green parts discarded)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 pears, cored and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the white and light-green parts of the leek, and saute for 5 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, potatoes and pears and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add broth and chopped fresh rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Or transfer to a blender in small batches and pulse until pureed.
- Return to saucepan and stir in heavy cream. Season generously with salt and freshly-cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.